Routers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your suggestions, I have an old 110v router which is rather unwieldy and difficult to use hand held comfortably. I had never thought of a router table as I thought they were a bit expensive; however, I have discovered from the internet that it should be quite easy to knock up a basic table and use the router that way.

Obviously it will need care in use, no guards, but it should be OK to knock up some hive rails till I can afford a proper plunge router and table.

Thanks again
Jim

There are umpteen plans about, for making tables - using the router, of course. A table makes it into a fearsome tool in two ways. 1) A large, heavy, powerful machine will do the job so much easier than a small one. 2) Without appropriate guarding, they are a dangerous tool - even fixed in a table. Suitable guarding for a router table is available but not that cheap - but cheaper than the alternative when something does go wrong. Don't be a casualty!

Regards, RAB

I appreciate your comments RAB, but it has to be safer than when I tried to use it clamped in the workmate. Don't ask!

Jim

Hello ns

try looking here

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/

Very good site and friendly too!!

Bewarned if you thought you spent too much time on bee forums, the worst thing to do is subscribe to a woodworkers forum! That will be the other half of the day done for too!

A quicker answer is one from experience. I have had great success buying loads of wood tools on Ebay (Bandsaw, planer/thicknesser radial arm saw, to name just three) I also bought two routers there (both ELU) I can vouch for both - a MOF 177E (lightweight) and a MOF 96 - a brute that will power through walls but it has got finesse too.

Both of these were verging on the well cheap, almost unused and complete in perfect boxes. As a DIYer they will last me the rest of my lifetime. The good part about ELU is that although not still in production, spares are readily available unlike the chinese £10 wonders. Fleabay is also a good source of spare parts should you need them. Things like brushes and I sourced a replacement collet and nut for the big one.

I have also bought 3 ELU planers for less than half the price i would have payed for a new one?

The usual pitfalls apply and buying from an auction site needs some ground rules - However I have been extremely fortunate.

If you want new with a sensible combination of quality/cost with the added advantage of warranty, a good brand is hitachi. I have had 7 inch and 10 inch circular saws for 15 years with no hint of trouble. Finally there is also the Trend range who do everything to do with routing (No personal experience) Good Trend website and you can cross reference all the router bits you see on Fleabey and see what the heck they are??

Just a quick answer :hurray:

Best of luck FB

The mof 177E was also sold under a few different labels...like wickes, freud,and no doubt a few others.

The mof 177E was also sold under a few different labels...like wickes, freud,and no doubt a few others.

Really I am surprised to hear that? I would have thought that the sheer price of the 177 would have put it beyond that associated with the DIY branded names. If I purchased a Wickes router for the price I imagine they go for, I would be ecstatic to find out it was an ELU?

The paradox to this scenario some years ago where Agfa sold their name to an inferior brand camera manufacturer. The resultant furore was reasonable and based on the fact that if you bought a car with a BMW printed on the boot you would be less than please to find out it was a ..... (got to be careful here) .....WMB? (that should save the contentious replies of "what's wrong with a WMB?" !

There is always the resale value of a supermarket router (badged ELU) being markedly less than the real thing?

There is also the issue that if you are a real anorak (sorry - collector) of (ELU) routers, you will know the company manufacture history of detiorating quality as it was sold on and production shifted from the original factory base of Germany/Switziland?

Off to look at ELU on wikipedia now

Cheers

FB

FB.... got my numbers confused....not the 177E..ELU....its the 2000E that i'm thinking of...sold under several different brand names..freud,festool,wickes..and lord knows how many others.

Welcome to the forum F B.

Last edited:
ELU were bought by Black & Decker I think, who are (or were) behind DeWalt.

I had an ELU planer/thicknesser once but couldn't get replacement blades for it after ELU were killed off.

Had me worried there for a moment but spare blades for the model I had (1901 EPT) are not available on that site either, or atleast were not listed on the page which showed them. But don't try and find any - it has been gone a year now!

Last edited:
Welcome fred bloggs!

I'm being a bit slow today. Welcome FRED BLOGGS! After your time in the wilderness you will find this forum is a refeshingly Roger-free zone. There are few here who make me wonder if their carers know thay are playing on the computer - but it makes for a lively time.

I expect if they are there they are now listed under Dewalt...the dewalt 733s was an Elu,grey...then Dewalt took them over and simply painted the same tool that crap yellow colour of dustbin Dewalt.

Update,

Santa has been kind to me and dropped off a brand new Bosch POF 1400 router :D

Your not the only one John, I have the same problem. Been advised to buy a wireless"N" router helps the problems so I am told, unles anyone knows better
kev

Mine is a brand new "Net gear 'N' type"
supposedly 5x coverage over 'G' , don't believe it ;)

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back