Robbing Screen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Hi All
A few weeks ago I posted a question re: hive robbing and since have tried to alleviate the problem.
Recently re-queened hive, capped brood, weak hive which I was feeding with 1.1 syrup using Miller type top feeder which bees were not drawing off. Queen ok and laying. A lot robbing bees at least I think they were as there was a lot of fighting around the hive entrance. Reduced entrance to one bee space.
I knocked up a robbing screen which I placed in front of the hive one night. Next day found group of bees on the screen mesh opposite entrance see attached photo. Some of my bees (one or two) going out but could not see any going in. My question is, was the screen preventing my own bees from getting back in depleting the hive still further?
I have since removed screen and inserted frame feeder instead of top feeder. Noticed that bees starting to work again but only very few bringing in pollen.
I would be pleased for any feedback on robbing screens.
Thanks
View attachment 10833

View attachment 10834

Assuming that the mesh is bee space then I guess the bees are just getting slowed down by it until they can get thro.
What about drones?

A sheet of glass in front of the entrance is cheap and easy! Looks like you have made the entrance at the top of your screen, am I right? I have never seen one before, is it your own design?
E

Hi B - I don’t have the experience to be authoritative but I have viewed similar type screens (strapped to hive) with ‘exit/entrance on side’ and the experienced beek explained that the indigenous bees had no problem finding their way out/in while the Robbing fraternity continued banging their heads against the screen so to speak. I can only imagine that some must have difficulty reorienting. Be interesting to hear some of the other comments that will come along. I will certainly apply something similar if and when the robbing starts as little else apparently works other than moving the attacked to an off-site and not all of us have such a luxury. Thanks for putting it up – just fed this evening and will be looking out for trouble tomorrow.

If its serious robbing and you are feeding anyway, you might try shutting them up for a couple of days.

I just put old see through plastic CD case covers 'on a slope' in front of entrance held with rubber bands and drawing pins. Works very well and safer than glass. (cheaper too)
As for your comment on little pollen coming in, well round here there seems to be little at the moment. ivy out soon but still a little HB at the moment. Brooding slowing down round our neck of the woods. (unless this warm spell sets things off again)

The glass screen in front of the entrance has never worked for me to stop robbing as the hive bees persisted in trying to return direct......however it does work for wasps.

Reducing the entrance to single bee space might work - or can you move the hive 3 miles away for a few weeks?

Robbing is a dreadful scourge in the apiary, closely followed byhaving a drone laying Q!

I had recourse to use a very similar (but slightly larger) home made robbing screen last. I also had my entrance at the top and it worked well. I found that the hive bees very quickly worked out how to get back in leaving the robbers faffing about in front of the hive. Only needed it on for about a week before the robbers gave up.

I would be pleased for any feedback on robbing screens.

An improvement on your screen would be to blank off a part of the area with thin board so that the robbers are attracted to the hive entrance but the actual exit point is somewhat separated from it.

Also, it does tend to take the resident bees a little time to work out what's going on and to adjust to the new set-up.

Last edited:
Can the average sized wasp get thro a queen excluder?

A sheet of glass in front of the entrance is cheap and easy! Looks like you have made the entrance at the top of your screen, am I right? I have never seen one before, is it your own design?
E
Hi Enrico
Found design on youtube video. Yes entrance is at the top but in future I think I will turn the screen so that the entrance is at the side.
Thanks for your input

Assuming that the mesh is bee space then I guess the bees are just getting slowed down by it until they can get thro.
What about drones?
Hi Dishmop
thanks for your input

Hi B - I don’t have the experience to be authoritative but I have viewed similar type screens (strapped to hive) with ‘exit/entrance on side’ and the experienced beek explained that the indigenous bees had no problem finding their way out/in while the Robbing fraternity continued banging their heads against the screen so to speak. I can only imagine that some must have difficulty reorienting. Be interesting to hear some of the other comments that will come along. I will certainly apply something similar if and when the robbing starts as little else apparently works other than moving the attacked to an off-site and not all of us have such a luxury. Thanks for putting it up – just fed this evening and will be looking out for trouble tomorrow.
Hi Spikedog
In future I think I will turn the screen so that the entrance is at the side.
Thanks for your input

Latest posts

Back