Repairing wooden frame feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
As I am going through my bi annual repair session I thought to take some pics.

I fill the feeders with water to test for the leaking ones.

I refill the slow leakers with more water as often they swell and self seal.

The ones beyond that hope I dry off and paint inside and outside with PVC woodworkers glue, leave to dry over night and then test again, and if required repeat the procedure with the glue.

A cheap childs paint brush taped to a bit of what ever you have to hand helps the painting of the insides.

PH

Hello Poly hive

Could you elaborate on the type of glue - Would that be a waterproof PVA adhesive or some other PVC glue - brand name if you can please.

Thanks

sorry to intrude ph, merlin hedgerow pete has some vids on here about waterproofing feeders which you might like to watch i enjoyed them, again sorry ph

Thanks for that - any idea when on the forum - just searched on "waterproofing feeders" and nil came up.

Thanks

Evo stick Weather proof woodworkers adhesive.

PH

Thanks PH - I have a dozen or so that need attention. I was walking around CD this afternoon and wondered where in the village you were.
Rgds

Merlin

Actually I was out on the Trent and Mersey canal geocaching...

PH

I use fibreglass resin poured into the feeder and swilled around...(needs feeder and resin to be warm.)

Soaks into wood and fills leaks..

When set leave a week to gas and then cover with molten beeswax...

Latest posts

Back