Removing the Varroa Board Chilled Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I recently did a shook swarm on one of my hives, donated all the capped brood to my weakest colony.

With the weather being colder, over the next few days is it best to replace the varroa board to prevent the brood getting chilled? My hive stands are 18 inches off the floor, the wind can whip though if its gets up.

Questioin might be why haven't you done it already?

Multiple frames of brood into a weak colony in cold weather is not good news.

Temperatures in the UK are such that heat is easily dissipated to the surroundings by the bees, given just enough ventilation.

You can listen for finding the amount of work being done to keep the hive ventilated.

RAB

When donating the general rule is give to the strongest NOT the weakest as they are least able to cope.

When the strongest one is made yet stronger you have plenty of material from which to work later.

Give to the weakest and you are at high risk of losing not only your donation but your unit too.

Sad but true.

PH

I was moving a colony from national to commercial hence the shock swarm.

It is my strongest colony donated 6 frames of brood split between my other two hives.

I recently moved for the dales in Yorkshire to Norfolk, in Yorkshire i kept the board in just about all year round but the weather was very different at that apiary,

Thanks for your reply's, ill leave the board out.

Latest posts

Back