reluctant to move down (happy ending)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
have a clearer board under a couple of supers which had not cleared and were full of bees

changed clearer board for a different one in case something with board

no change, still full of bees

what could be peculiar to this colony not to descend below clearer board?

have just had a thought, that i need to check no brood got up there somehow....

What clearer do you have on your board? I found the rhombus worked really quickly whereas a Canadian type I Was given didn't. And then there are Porters...
K 🤔

It happens. I had one really stubborn colony a couple of years ago and eventually cleared them by putting a board under each super.

Is there space under the clearer for them to go in. For a couple of supers, I put an eke under the clearer, for more supers, I put an empty super. I use rhombus and never have a problem.

Is there space under the clearer for them to go in. For a couple of supers, I put an eke under the clearer, for more supers, I put an empty super. I use rhombus and never have a problem.
yes, another good suggestion, there is an empty drawn super but will check if it is possibly that

For my very tall hive 7 x supers & 1 BB , I don't bother setting the sealed stores back on the colony.
Instead I place another stand adj to the entrance , rapid clearer on the bottom , supers then CB & roof . Bees soon disappear back into the main colony.

so....all my fault it turns out

went to check again....still bees in supers above clearer board...fewer, but still there

checked frames in these supers and sure enough...eggs....not multiple (was wondering if LW had taken hold) but eggs nonetheless

checked frames for the Q and couldnt see her

so....went into UBB, drawn QCs in UBB...hmm....did i squash her somehow when fitting clearer boards?

back to top supers to check for Q...no sign

removed clearer board from empty super (above QE)x and sitting in the clearer board was the marked queen

chucked her beneath the QEx again, added clearer board above empty super (which may now have 3 days of eggs in it) and put supers back

problem solved, i had left queen in top supers somehow and she had descended through clearer board into super above QEx....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back