Rabbit Control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
SWMBO has asked whether any of you good folk have tried "G r a z e r s" and if it worked?
Our rabbit population was breeding all winter again and they now bump into each other as they dash away from our car on the drive at night.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.
Currently we have 2 strands of electric wire around some flower beds and chicken wire around the veg patches. The estate is starting to look like Colditz.
I do use lead injections from the dining room patio doors but it sends the dogs ape.

Tim

i use traps that catch them alive and just finished catching at a farm. had 44 in 10 days i made the traps cost about 4 pound in wire plus time really effective if you get in right place and bait with carrots{ not a joke }

As a schoolboy I used to trap rabbits with snares- visiting daily and decimated the wild population where I lived.

If you do snare, visit daily or be accused of cruelty .

The bunny huggers will accuse you of it anyway but ...

The trouble with snares is, they catch non-target species.

As a schoolboy I used to trap rabbits with snares- visiting daily and decimated the wild population where I lived.

If you do snare, visit daily or be accused of cruelty .

The bunny huggers will accuse you of it anyway but ...

explain how it wouldn't be cruel to leave an animal snared for days on end???

Squirrel traps are big enough to catch small rabbits....two at once on one occasion! Finish them off with lead injection, fast and can't miss!

explain how it wouldn't be cruel to leave an animal snared for days on end???

?

I said "inspect daily". It is cruel.

explain how it wouldn't be cruel to leave an animal snared for days on end?? snares by law must be checked every 24 hours so iff u know of anyone that dosent, i suggest you report them

Sounds like a job for an air gun. Shame your so far away.

Someone local to you would be very glad to come and shoot them I am sure! You could contact BASC and ask them to find someone (they would have insurance through BASC). Or ask a neighbouring farmer/gamekeeper. My local gamedealer pays £1/rabbit and can never get enough!

i use traps that catch them alive and just finished catching at a farm. had 44 in 10 days i made the traps cost about 4 pound in wire plus time really effective if you get in right place and bait with carrots{ not a joke }

I think this is the easiest way. Easy to set and bait, rabbits can't resist the carrots.
Caught one a night for 8 weeks once.
Cazza

We've had a neighbour in with ferrets, they spent a happy 6 hours and got nothing.
We also allow another neighbour (father + gamekeeper son) to shoot our ground and they take out some but I think they breed faster than they are being removed.
Tim.
P.S. I've put the trap out again, with carrots again, to see if we get any luck this time.

far better off getting someone in with rimfire, as if they are a little lamp shy, shots from 60yds account for more than an air rifle at 30/40yds,
its a shame your so far away as I would have done it, we shoot rabbits in orchards in kent and easily get 60 rabbits per night

where i live theres hardly a rabbit to be seen, an odd pocket of them here and there but the minute they start to gather numbers they seem to die out.
i have a .17 hmr and would gladly help you out if i lived near you, on a calm evening we can shoot them well out to just under 200 yards.
Darren.

Latest posts

Back