Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean "bull service" = f*.*

Oh dear...

Yes. He does.

I'm not sure how many herds rely on "the old fashioned way" anymore. A prize-bull, selected for desirable traits can impregnate many, many cows (thus, improving the offspring via genetics) in managed herds. In the traditional manner, he might "service" relatively few. The same is possible in beekeeping, although I doubt the transition will happen quickly.

Swarming is bee's only way to reproduce, if you do not know. And that has happened before the humans started to walk on globe.

Good of you to say, in different words, what I previously said and which seemed to amuse you with pointless "trolling"..
"I mean that in any healthy colony, the tendency to swarm is obviously just the outward sign of the instinct, which they share with most humans, to reproduce. "

Good of you to say, in different words, what I previously said and which seemed to amuse you with pointless "trolling"..
"I mean that in any healthy colony, the tendency to swarm is obviously just the outward sign of the instinct, which they share with most humans, to reproduce. "

I wouldn't agree with this at all.
To me, if a colony swarms, it's a disaster. Not only will my time have been wasted but all of her full-sisters, aunts, nieces, etc will be marked down and they will all be less desirable breeding material.

I expect the colony to be healthy. I don't expect it to swarm.

I wouldn't agree with this at all.
To me, if a colony swarms, it's a disaster. Not only will my time have been wasted but all of her full-sisters, aunts, nieces, etc will be marked down and they will all be less desirable breeding material.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I absolutely, totally,100% agree with you. God only knows how this has gone off track to the extent that you think that I think it's the best and only way to increase your bees. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'm not sure how many herds rely on "the old fashioned way" anymore.
The majority of them I should think - apart from maybe milkers on these horrid american style milk factories that are cropping up everywhere

I don't understand, what you are trying to say with that. What is the big wisdom in different words . I propably said that bees can swarm even the colony is sick.

Swarming is not outward sign of instinct. And they do not share it with humans. What idea it is to say simple things with that complex way.

Term "swarm" depends on the connection, where you use it.

Between two adult person we boath should know what means "reproduction". No need to explain to each other such thing.

Words and terms are determined that we can communicate and feel things same way. Of course you can arise hate feelings with them, when you really try.

Last edited:
I don't understand, what you are trying to say with that. What is the big wisdom in different words . I propably said that bees can swarm even the colony is sick.

Swarming is not outward sign of instinct. And they do not share it with humans. What idea it is to say simple things with that complex way.

Term "swarm" depends on the connection, where you use it.

Between two adult person we boath should know what means "reproduction". No need to explain to each other such thing.

Words and terms are determined that we can communicate and feel things same way. Of course you can arise hate feelings with them, when you really try.
:yeahthat:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I absolutely, totally,100% agree with you. God only knows how this has gone off track to the extent that you think that I think it's the best and only way to increase your bees. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Good. There are some very strange views expressed on this forum from time to time. Sometimes, it's difficult to read between the lines and understand what people really mean (non-verbals missing, etc)

Good. There are some very strange views expressed on this forum from time to time. Sometimes, it's difficult to read between the lines and understand what people really mean (non-verbals missing, etc)
I blame a certain Scandinavian chap,...never mind between the lines, I don't think he even reads the lines.

Last edited:
I bl

I blame a certain Scandinavian chap,...never mind between the lines, I don't thik he even reads the lines.

There must be something worth to read.

An adult person uses to seek information, which is usefull or practical to him.
From the book " To teach adult age people".

Last edited:
Laugh? I thought my trousers would never dry!🤣🤣🤣
I remember an old retired customs officer (sadly passed last year)at Lerwick who always called aboard for a coffee if he saw us alongside, once when asked about whether he worried about senility he said 'I'm not concerned about forgetting to do my flies up after peeing - it's when I forget to take it out before starting they can take me away!'

collected a small swarm today and put it in my observation hive. In two days it has drawn 2 brood frames and the (mated) queen is laying eggs every 11 seconds. Unlike other swarms there were absolutely no drones.....not needed I suppose.
Should one conclude that if there are drones in a swarm it contains a virgin queen?20210609_232110.jpg20210609_232844.jpg20210609_232954.jpg

but also it could have been the first time the colony has swarmed in donkeys.
There are many triggers for swarming, hardly any are due to 'genetics' I bet the majority are down to poor management.
Maybe but some times even giving them all the management in the world doesn't help, I have the same gene pool spread out over the South Shropshire hills, the apiarys where there has been lots of forage has created me having to remove queen's.
The same stock at 500 metres on the Clee which are the same age and stage ie double brood or two supers above a brood haven't come any where near swarming mode.
I've also got two of these colonys which were nucs this April demareed brood, super brood super I'm going to roll these if they let me.

My point locality, and weather with the same bee type shows me its nothing to do with genetics.
Maybe managing them in a different way on my part would of helped maybe using demaree sooner instead of going double brood?
Ive found that having the lack of drawn comb a pain so far this season.

collected a small swarm today and put it in my observation hive. In two days it has drawn 2 brood frames and the (mated) queen is laying eggs every 11 seconds. Unlike other swarms there were absolutely no drones.....not needed I suppose.
Should one conclude that if there are drones in a swarm it contains a virgin queen?View attachment 26625View attachment 26626View attachment 26627
Nice swarm to observe, got to get me one of them not a swarm;)
I have a pet colony on the common that was a cast three years ago.

My bee barometer (observation hive) has drawn and filled two more frames this week, so definitely a nectar flow from the lime.
Still no drones though.20210720_173830[1].jpg

Back