Queenless?`

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Almost certain a colony is Q'less. I would normally use a test frame but the time of year means no obvious frames to use. I could do it but the loss of a frame now would seem a greater theft than earlier in the year. How best then to be sure a colony is queenless before uniting?

You could always use a test frame, then put it back to where you took it from.

Why would this time of year mean no obvious frames to use? You have other colonies, they’ll have brood
well I could. I just found that the amount of eggs in those other colonies was far less than earlier in the year and felt that their removal would have a more adverse impact than earlier. Guynir has a good point though, that sounds a good route.

well I could. I just found that the amount of eggs in those other colonies was far less than earlier in the year and felt that their removal would have a more adverse impact than earlier. Guynir has a good point though, that sounds a good route.
You don’t have to take a full frame, something from the edge of brood area. Failing that cut a couple of inches of comb out with eggs/larvae. You can cut a corresponding hole or place on top bars.

One of the reasons I like to keep a couple of nuc's to take thru winter as insurance. Even now uniting one and still have one to spare. Other wise just unite two colonies and make increase come spring.

Latest posts

Back