Queenless options

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'd be grateful for your expert opinions:

I've got a hive on double brood that has done really well in Spring and early summer. About 6 weeks ago they decided to supercede the queen and, although I spotted a virgin queen 4 weeks ago, she's no longer there - presumably either taken during a mating flight (the swallows hang around in the evening) or maybe just not accepted.

As a result, I've got a big hive, with lots of bees who've been queenless about 5 weeks.

Inspected last weekend - they're very calm given they're queenless, no eggs or brood and busily filling frames with nectar and pollen, so I put in a test frame from another hive. Yesterday afternoon, the test frame had multiple queen cells.

Seems like I have a few options:
1. I could let them get on with it and raise a new queen - though it'll be late in the season by the time she's laying and the number of drones will be declining.
2. or, I could get a new queen and introduce her with 2 new frames of brood (getting rid ofthe QCs first) - but not sure how successful that will be given they've been queenless for so long. Advantage would be to get a laying queen in there right away.
3. or, I could unite with a queenright nuc
4. or, I could go with option 1 and, if it fails, then have options 2 or 3 as back-up.

What do you think?
Thanks for your help.

Not an expert opinion, but...

You've got queen cells. 16 days to emergence. Up to 19 days for the queen to get mated and start to lay. Wait another 8 days for first sealed brood so you can see if it's worker or drone. That's 43 days before you are sure you have a successfully mated queen.

That's going to be the middle of August, which is a bit late to start the whole process over again if she's a wrong 'un.

Happened to me last year. The people more experienced than me (which is just about everyone) that I asked, including an SBI all said wait, it may be OK. Ended up with a drone layer and too few bees to save the colony.

Thanks Mintmoth.
Day 16 will be 16th July, add a couple of weeks for hanging around the hive and mating flights (weather permitting) and experience here is 21-28 days before laying. That takes us to approx 20th August. Doesn't leave much time to build up the brood nest before winter, does it?
Maybe combining with a nuc now is the best option.

No expert but my personal experience. Started last July with a cast swarm, VQ and about 1000 or so bees. About a week later VQ was missing and never returned. Advice was they are doomed and left to dwindle. Mid August I was given a mated Q and introduced her to about 300 bees. Yes they built up and over wintered. Now I have 3 strong hives from them, 2 on double brood.
So from my experience there is loads of time to build up and over winter with a bit of care.

Taliesin,
I have a six frame nucleus with a 2018 marked, laying queen. She has an orange backside so does not feature in any future plans. You are welcome to them if it will help you out. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Posted to wrong thread......sorry!

Last edited:
Thanks all

Swarm - that’s very kind of you. I’m going to see if they can successfully raise their own, so should know in a couple of weeks if that’s worked out. If it doesn’t, I’ll drop you a PM.

Plenty of time, my most successful hive was made through a late split in August last year

Thanks all

Swarm - that’s very kind of you. I’m going to see if they can successfully raise their own, so should know in a couple of weeks if that’s worked out. If it doesn’t, I’ll drop you a PM.

As I said, surplus to requirement, in a couple of weeks they would probably have supers on, her sister is waiting for her fourth. They are only in a nuc because they donated brood but they need space now.

Latest posts

Back