Queen wasp or interloper?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headnavigator

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just seen what I initially took to be a large queen wasp under the hive, robbing the body of a dead bee. However its black chevrons down the back had a centre like a sharp black spike, not separated, and I have not seen a QW looking like that before round here. Have studied the BBKA pictures of Hornets, and those on line but cannot find anything to match. Any ideas, anyone? Sorry I didn't have my camera (but immediately post-inspection and not gowned up I would have been asking for it to have gone under the hive after it!)

European Hornets have brown and yellow abdomens. Asian Hornets have mostly black abdomens with an orange 4th segment with small black chevron. Hope it is not one of them - was the wind blowing from France or Spain?

Wind from France. This creature's abdomen was yellow/black stripe (wasp colours) with the central black line joined down the back and looking 'spike' like, and unlike any wasp I've seen!

None of the hornets on google have the continuous black line down the back. I guess, like bees, they may vary?

I have seen lots of queen wasps yesterday and today. Only about 30 mile north of you.
I think the sun has got them out. They are likely to be hungry after being camped in for a while with the rain. They don't usually go for dead bodies. They like their food fresh.

Google Vespula germanica (European wasp). Wiki has a good image. Markings are variable as with bees.

How about median wasp? slightly larger and darker than normal wasps

Watched my bees dealing with a wasp today while I was inspecting them! Very satisfying. Last time I opened them up (a week ago) there was another one under the roof.

Latest posts

Back