Queen not laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biglad

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi all it's been just over 3 1/2 weeks since my q cell emerged she is not laying yet ... Shal I try a frame of eggs and brood or just Waite ?

Yes put in a test comb, and if they draw emergency cells it would be good to obtain a mated queen to introduce.

We've had excellent weather and loads of available drones so I agree you've got a failed Q. It's too late to DIY so agree with HM that you buy a mated Q

Hi biglad,
You are right to be concerned. Been there as a one colony owner and lost because it was too late in the season to get a bought queen - tragic. Some people on the forum have waited two months with bad outcome! Also, can the forum start a survey on how long all these queens last that take ages to lay in very favourable weather conditions and plenty of drones. Conventional wisdom stated if she is not mated in three weeks from emergence then she is a dud? Now, we are saying she is mated, but not laying?

Sometimes I despair at the advice given. Not read the other thread so that may be useful. Hivemaker's comment is appropriate as it appears that you are not even aware if there is a queen present or not. That is the place to start.

Not particularly tragic at the begining of August is it? You may have a failed queen but you need to ascertain first whether that is the case or no queen at all. Flying blind on poor advice is worse than no advice really.

Hi all just put a test frame in we will see what happens in a few days .... Thanks for the replies all .. Neil

Well put in a test frame on fri checked it today . No emergency queen cells on frame . But on the next frame three grubs with food . No eggs on the frame befor hand . And on the next frame looks like part of queen cell with grub .. Don't know if thay are making it or taking it down no more eggs in the hive ??? Any advice Neil

Latest posts

Back