Queen keeps leaving hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hived two prime swarms yesterday and used the 'QX underneath' method, as I always do. Never had a problem with dead drones/dead Queens/dead or distressed anything.

Needless to say, it is always removed after two or three days, whereupon you'll very often find the majority of the drones clinging to the underside of the crown board and not deceased.

Oh yes, I don't mark or clip Queens either......but then that's just my way.

I cant argue with his advice to you if he has that many colonies and has been keeping bees for 37 years.

Regards the queen and the queen excluder she should not be able to get through as its her Thorax that stops her so even with a smaller tummy her Thorax is the same size.

Admin - He's got 40+ hives and has been doing it for 37 years however, he still says he doesn't know it all although he was annoyed at the QX. I for one won't be doing that again.
Beebreeder - won't the queen be slimmed down for swarming therefore be able to get through the excluder anyway?

Latest posts

Back