Queen Excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

Not exactly DIY.

I am sorting through my kit, and topping up where necessary. Over the few years I have been beekeeping, I have already accumulated at least 6 different styles of Queen Excluder.

Interestingly, the holes are not all the same size. Even a single excluder can have wide variances in hole size. (relatively speaking)
My concern is that I ended up with a batch of 'bad' QX's with holes that are too small, and may need ditching.

What is the smallest acceptable size for a QX hole?

Cheers
Pete

I am more worried about bees getting stuck.

I have a couple of colonys of small bees, but am thinking of the regular heinz variety than a particular strain

At the risk of raising a different topic, Dave Cushman's site was one of the few with actual measured dimensions quoted. Around 4.2 to 4.4 mm slots seems the range depending on manufacturer.

I recall hearing of some plastic batches a couple of years back that were close to tolerance limits, some bees reluctant to pass through.

A while back I suffered from small black virgin queens which could easily get through commercial excluders, so I started to make my own from s/s tig wire. I chose 4.16mm as probably being the tightest I could get away with.

In use, the girls do have to wriggle a little to get through, but the s/s wire is very smooth so I'm not too worried about that, and I only use them for queen manipulations anyway - so they're not in place for long.

LJ

Back