queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesknee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + nucs
Hi every one
Can any one tell me the best way to transport sealed queen cells?
I thought to make a soft foam liner with holes to hold queen cells to fit in a small plastic box? will this work? I need to take them to an out apiary about 12 miles away.
Any advice most welcome.
Thanks in advance

Can any one tell me the best way to transport sealed queen cells?

Not sure there is a 'best way' to transport naked QCs.
They are best not shaken, stirred or whatever (let alone chilled) until close to the point of emergence.
One normal practice would be transplant the cells into mating nucs on the day before emergence is due. (Those mating nuc colonies having been prepared typically 3 days before, and then kept in the dark ...) Then those mating nucs with QCs in place would be carefully transported to the chosen (mating) out apiary.

Doubtless some will pop spare sealed swarm cells into a padded tobacco tin, and stuff that into their shirt pocket to take home, but that whole scenario is a long way from being optimal.

An old and experienced beek I know tapes the QC to his chest just at his sternum. He swears that it keeps it at the right temperature until he gets to his other apiary :)

An old and experienced beek I know tapes the QC to his chest just at his sternum. He swears that it keeps it at the right temperature until he gets to his other apiary :)

Good Idea, I wouldn't like to think what would happen if they hatched though :biggrinjester:

I put them in a plastic box with tissue in, so they point down slightly. Not sure how mature they are sometimes and don't want them to get disturbed. That box in the car is fine for a journey with a little heat in the car. They are fairly tough. Once home into incubator at 34 degrees.
Yep, had them hatch into my hand as I was walking back to the car!

, had them hatch into my hand as I was walking back to the car!

magic!

I once nipped the top off a Q cell and she rushed out up my hand.... like an earwig....

richard

Back