Queen Cells and no drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Several Beekeepers are reporting Queen Cells in swarm mode quantities being produced in my area but drone levels being extremely low, is it just this area or is it happening elsewhere

i assume it has been caused by the few days of above average temperatures ( 23c for 4 days)

OK , i have have the odd misfire drone running around but so far none of my block drone brood has yet emerged, if you miss a swarm i assume it almost curtains for the remaining bees in the hive with no drones around the virgin queen will not mate well and run out of puff in spring of before and become a drone layer

Last edited:
Several Beekeepers are reporting Queen Cells in swarm mode quantities being produced in my area but drone levels being extremely low, is it just this area or is it happening elsewhere

i assume it has been caused by the few days of above average temperatures ( 23c for 4 days)

OK , i have have the odd misfire drone running around but so far none of my block drone brood has yet emerged, if you miss a swarm i assume it almost curtains for the remaining bees in the hive with no drones around the virgin queen will not mate well and run out of puff in spring of before and become a drone layer
My hive now being in emergency QC mode, I have been assured by local beeks that there are plenty of drones around.... I hope they're right!

plenty of drone brood++ in our association hives and drones themselves not scarce either (first chance for the newbies to see some!!!)

There will be drones. of that there is no doubt. The weather being suitable for mating flights for the required time frame is another matter entirely.

Ten days of very cool (ie quite seasonable for the UK) weather could prevent a great number of these developing queens from even getting out on a mating flight!

RAB

Tons of drones here in Berks, have been for several weeks.

There will be drones. of that there is no doubt. The weather being suitable for mating flights for the required time frame is another matter entirely.

Ten days of very cool (ie quite seasonable for the UK) weather could prevent a great number of these developing queens from even getting out on a mating flight!

RAB

Fortunately the 10 day forecast for these parts has **** daytime temperatures indicated between 16 and 18c.

Certainly better than the last 10 days.

My drones are beginning to hatch in decent numbers here in sunny but droughty Suffolk.
Cazza

My queen cells are due out this weekend but none of my drones are out. I also recall from a previous thread that drones take 6 weeks to reach sexual maturity.

I have my fingers well and truly crossed for a mating flight in the next week or so. I suppost the upside it that the queens will have to mate with someone elses drones so we get a bit of genetic diversity.

Latest posts

Back