Press in cage method

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebopper

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just made some press-in cages for queen introduction.

When using these do you put the seven attendants that come with the queen in ?

I've used them for quite a while now and always leave the attendants in but I'm sure somebody will say different as is always the case on this forum.

but I'm sure somebody will say different as is always the case on this forum.

Which should inform you that there is always more than one way/method to achieve the same outcome. Where you want to be careful is when someone is dogmatic that it MUST be done this way.

Regarding attendant bees some leave them in some remove them...although I'm a little puzzled by the definite 7 attendants.....
I leave mine in...it's easier than trying to let them out and seems to work for me.

I have just made some press-in cages for queen introduction.

The idea is that the queen s on the comb by herself (i.e. no attendants). The workers on the outside feed her though the bars and receive her pheromones. As the brood emerges, these young workers feed and groom the queen. She comes back into laying condition and lay eggs in the cells recently vacated by the workers who now attend her.
Ideally you should position the cage over open honey, open cells and emerging brood.
If you leave attendants in a cage (whatever sort of cage it is) the workers can solicit food from the bees outside and the queens pheromones aren't transmitted. Then, when the workers come into contact with the queen, they will see her as an intruder and kill her.
Always remove the attendants. Their job is solely to look after the queen during transit.

I just did it twice with attendants left in. Both hives accepted the queen. And hives were aggessive mongrels! Homemade cage over nearly whole frame so i could leave her safe with attendants to feed her till brood emerged and joined in. Seems to work both ways. Always mixed opinions in beekeeping.

brood.
If you leave attendants in a cage (whatever sort of cage it is) the workers can solicit food from the bees outside and the queens pheromones aren't transmitted. Then, when the workers come into contact with the queen, they will see her as an intruder and kill her.
Always remove the attendants. Their job is solely to look after the queen during transit.

Sorry B+ but that is total horse ship. I've never removed attendants and it works for me well over the 97.25 percentile. If what you say was correct I'd never have had any queen accepted.
It's simply the hive bees getting accustomed to a new queens "queens substances".

Sorry B+ but that is total horse ship. I've never removed attendants and it works for me well over the 97.25 percentile. If what you say was correct I'd never have had any queen accepted.
It's simply the hive bees getting accustomed to a new queens "queens substances".

The question was:
IMHO anyone who risks a valuable queen for the sake of a few workers needs their head examined. You MAY get away with it any number of times, but, the queens I am working with are worth far more than half a dozen workers. I wouldn't risk it. So, I suppose the question really boils down to: "How much is the queen worth to you?"

Last edited:
So, I suppose the question really boils down to: "How much is the queen worth to you?"

Not at all..... the question boils down to whether removing attendants makes any difference to acceptance rates of a new queen or not. Many of us will argue it doesn't.
But if what you do works for you and gives you confidence...then stick with it...

Sorry B+ but that is total horse ship.

:iagree: I always leave the attendants in, never been a problem. Taking them out does no harm, but what's the point - another bit of faffery which could end up with the queen being lost or damaged.
Some people just seem to want to make a drama out of the slightest thing and try and make beekeeping out to be some dark art.

Last edited:
In my experience it makes no difference whether she has attendants with her or not. Pheromones are also passed from worker to worker.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

OK, next question.

How long should I leave before looking and am I looking to see egg//young larva before releasing her?

Sorry forgot to say thanks for advice so far.

One of mine the queen had started to lay and workers had got through the comb inside that was after 4 days. All happy. The other more recently, queen and attendants still inside cage, bees moving over cage but could easily be nudged off. So realeased queen and watched for a good 10 mins. No balling all happy. That was 4 days too. She started to lay by next inspection 7 days after release.

It seems sensible to bear in mind the following recommendations when using any method of queen introduction.

1. Younger bees tend to accept new queens more readily than older bees.
2, Smaller groups of bees tend to accept new queens more readily than larger groups of bees.
3, Bees are more likely to accept a new queen that is similar to their old queen, i.e., replace a laying queen with a laying queen.
4. Bees are less likely to accept new queens when colonies are trying to rob each other.
5. Bees accept new queens more readily during a nectar fllow.

It seems sensible to bear in mind the following recommendations when using any method of queen introduction.

1. Younger bees tend to accept new queens more readily than older bees.
2, Smaller groups of bees tend to accept new queens more readily than larger groups of bees.
3, Bees are more likely to accept a new queen that is similar to their old queen, i.e., replace a laying queen with a laying queen.
4. Bees are less likely to accept new queens when colonies are trying to rob each other.
5. Bees accept new queens more readily during a nectar fllow.

:iagree: Completely !!

Latest posts

Back