Preparing pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebopper

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a student doing a research project on pollen analysis.
Does anybody know the easiest way to prepare pollen samples for microscope analysis. I have found one from the BBKA but was wondering if there is any further advise anybody could give.

Does anybody know the easiest way to prepare pollen samples for microscope analysis. I have found one from the BBKA but was wondering if there is any further advise anybody could give.
Two good books that I find helpful:

Practical Microscopy for Beekeepers-– Bob Maurer

Pollen Microscopy-– Norman Chapman

Give Redwood a PM - we both had an afternoon learning about it last year, he's more genned up than me on it

What sources are you collecting pollen from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is better to take from flowers.

The books on Pollen Analysis and Honey Identification by Rex Sawyer give clear instructions on how to make slides from pollen collected from flowers and also from honey. The book on Pollen identification gives a key for identifying 134 plants from their pollen, The book on honey has fewer plants but has some foreign plants. The are photos of the pollen grains in each book.

You do not know with pollen analysis either. Pollen and nectar come often from different sources.

Bees forage for pollen so pollen analysis on the pollen pellets will identify those flowers.

For analysis of honey the pollen grains examined are those from the nectariferous flowers where as the bee gathers nectar pollen grains are disturbed into the nectar and carried adventitiously with the nectar.

You do not know with pollen analysis either. Pollen and nectar come often from different sources.

At least it tells you some of the flowers they have been foraging

Latest posts

Back