Possible robbing underway??? Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilf1234

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi - just been out to my hive at the end of the garden and there is a huge flurry of activity (see video). I'm thinking it's either my colony being decimated by another local colony, or possibly a mass rush back to the hive as they sensed the heavy downpour that is currently now in progress.
There were several hundred bees frantically milling around the entrances and going in/out at twice the normal speed.
Any advice/thoughts?

The colony was pretty weak (late June swarm and still only on 5 frames due to the rubbish weather), so I put a Wasp Out on earlier this week to try and give them a chance if the wasps come looking!! The bees seemed to adapt to the new entrance within a few minutes. However, the bees today seem to all be going to the perforated section on the front, then hanging around for a few minutes before steaming at full speed all over the hive looking how to get in. There are also a few bees hanging around on the walls of the hives showing their Nasonov glands

If it is a mass robbing under way - is there anything I can do?

Thanks for the help

W

Attachments

• 20210812_150908_Trim (2).mp4
    28.3 MB
Looks like robbing
Entrance far too large.
Narrow entrance down to 20 mms wide x10mm high.

The entrance is only at either end of the trunking (the white tube). So 20x10mm on each end.
I've closed off one end - that a good idea?

Last edited:
Can I smoke the bees outside to try and discourage them back to their own hives, or is that just delaying the inevitable? (I'm worried that if this has been going on a for a few hours, there may be precious little left of the original colony anyway!)

Just seen some advice saying that I could drape a wet sheet over the hive for a few days - anyone had success with this approach?

Hi - just been out to my hive at the end of the garden and there is a huge flurry of activity (see video). I'm thinking it's either my colony being decimated by another local colony, or possibly a mass rush back to the hive as they sensed the heavy downpour that is currently now in progress.
There were several hundred bees frantically milling around the entrances and going in/out at twice the normal speed.
Any advice/thoughts?

The colony was pretty weak (late June swarm and still only on 5 frames due to the rubbish weather), so I put a Wasp Out on earlier this week to try and give them a chance if the wasps come looking!! The bees seemed to adapt to the new entrance within a few minutes. However, the bees today seem to all be going to the perforated section on the front, then hanging around for a few minutes before steaming at full speed all over the hive looking how to get in. There are also a few bees hanging around on the walls of the hives showing their Nasonov glands

If it is a mass robbing under way - is there anything I can do?

Thanks for the help

W
I can’t view the attachment.
black screen with start chevron showing “ you can’t see this video ‘.
can’t get shut without rebooting iPad !

Here's a photo when things had settled down slightly - there's normally no bees hanging around outside! I've now closed up this entrance and there is just the entrance at the other end of the trunking.
Cheers

Attachments

• 20210812_151601.jpg
    20210812_151601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Same for me....😩

Just seen some advice saying that I could drape a wet sheet over the hive for a few days - anyone had success with this approach?
I used a wet sheet/towel before I had under floor entrances. I had to make sure it draped over the whole of the front, with access only at the sides. It seemed to work and helped de-stress the girls. The only problem was that last year it was really hot and I had to hose down the sheet as and when it dried out! Good luck.

I used a wet sheet/towel before I had under floor entrances. I had to make sure it draped over the whole of the front, with access only at the sides. It seemed to work and helped de-stress the girls. The only problem was that last year it was really hot and I had to hose down the sheet as and when it dried out! Good luck.

Thanks - it all went incredibly quite about 1830hrs this evening, despite great weather. Nothing flying at all.
Do you reckon it's worth me doing a quick inspection tomorrow morning before sticking a towel over the hive, as I'm half convinced they have been pretty much stripped bare today...

Alternatively, I may have been compleltey mistaken and they are absolutley fine, and If so, I wouldn't want to restrict them un necessarily etc. (although a thousand frantic agitated bees around the entrance can't have been a good sign)

Thanks again for the help.

I used a water sprayer in front of a hive I suspected was robbing and reduced their entrance right down to one bee space. They all dashed inside as they thought it was raining. Seemed to work after about 20 mins, but it was early evening so easier to sort than in the middle of the day.

Thanks - it all went incredibly quite about 1830hrs this evening, despite great weather. Nothing flying at all.
Do you reckon it's worth me doing a quick inspection tomorrow morning before sticking a towel over the hive, as I'm half convinced they have been pretty much stripped bare today...
I would leave them another couple of days and see what happens now the wasp out is in place. If you open them now, the robbers will smell the honey and be straight back. See how things settle, I've stuffed an entrance with grass before and left for a couple of hours. It goes crazy for a while as the robbers still try to get in but once they realise they can't, they give up and leave them alone. You may have already resolved it 🤞

I would leave them another couple of days and see what happens now the wasp out is in place. If you open them now, the robbers will smell the honey and be straight back. See how things settle, I've stuffed an entrance with grass before and left for a couple of hours. It goes crazy for a while as the robbers still try to get in but once they realise they can't, they give up and leave them alone. You may have already resolved it 🤞
Thanks for that. The wasp out was already in place when this started!! I've blocked up one side of it.
I've now put a wet towel over the hive (plus it's raining), but there is still lots of activity this morning - loads of the blighters just sitting on top of the hive. I'm Hoping that's a good sign and they're frustrated so will eventually move on!

I never thought I'd get this attached to my girls!

Thanks for that. The wasp out was already in place when this started!! I've blocked up one side of it.
I've now put a wet towel over the hive (plus it's raining), but there is still lots of activity this morning - loads of the blighters just sitting on top of the hive. I'm Hoping that's a good sign and they're frustrated so will eventually move on!

I never thought I'd get this attached to my girls!

I worry slightly that any foragers which had oriented to the entrance you have closed will be lost to the hive. It might be them sitting on top of it? I'd probably reopen that side now you have calmed things down. Not sure...

You can tell when bees go into robbing mode. The whole area will fill with bees flying round making a high pitch noise with their wings compared with normal. The flying seems to be random unlike a swarm but it s very very noticeable. If you have ever had bees really robbing out other bees or a honey frame or extraction equipment left in the open you will know exactly what I mean. If it is not like that then wasps are likely to be the robbers!

I worry slightly that any foragers which had oriented to the entrance you have closed will be lost to the hive. It might be them sitting on top of it? I'd probably reopen that side now you have calmed things down. Not sure...

Thanks for the help. but I closed that entrance yesterday afternoon, when I was desperately trying to save the hive! There weren't any stragglers at the end of the day, so I'm assuming that those sat on the top today are the raiders, just hanging out trying to look cool!!!

I've checked on the hive several times today and there are still 30 or 40 robbers flying around in front of the hive and quite a few sat on top - they're not going to go easily!!!

Don’t try to view it on the message. Hold your finger on the icon in the message and this will pop up a new menu with options. Hit download and a new icon pops up top right. Touch that and a new screen pops up with the video on the left. Touch that and it will play.

Thanks for the help. but I closed that entrance yesterday afternoon, when I was desperately trying to save the hive! There weren't any stragglers at the end of the day, so I'm assuming that those sat on the top today are the raiders, just hanging out trying to look cool!!!

I've checked on the hive several times today and there are still 30 or 40 robbers flying around in front of the hive and quite a few sat on top - they're not going to go easily!!!
Once a hive has started robbing it will continue. The best thing is to move them to a hiveless area or despose of them

Latest posts

Back