Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I'm a little confused as I thought I was using 14x12 frames when in actual fact I am using 16x10 frames :blush5:. Are there any plans for 16x10 nucs available? Cheers

I'm a little confused as I thought I was using 14x12 frames when in actual fact I am using 16x10 frames :blush5:. Are there any plans for 16x10 nucs available? Cheers

16x10 are also known as commercial. Look out for commercial nucs - yes, they are often available.

hey - we were t'other side of the river to you last week - Berney Arms!!!

Wey hey! Shoulda waved. Have you been here? Say hello to the blonde ugly tired looking chap. Thats me!! I noticed my girlfriend gave away my location in a panic while I was away.

Well, I've had a good look on google etc but I failed to find any commercial nuc plans.

Well, I've had a good look on google etc but I failed to find any commercial nuc plans.

make a box external measurements 465mm x 233mm x 300mm deep out of 12mm ply, mesh floor 233x465 and two feet runners 465x18mmx18mm

the frame legdes are made out of 9mm ply insert 209 wide x 276mm set down 24 mm then add 6mm frame runners ( or cut 6mm wedges on the top of the insert)

crown board 465x233 out of 12mm ply

roof 480 x 248 plus side to your own depth

Last edited:
Thanks muss.

No I'm not ashamed of where I live, just saw that it caused a few problems.

Nice one MM been looking for somthing like this for commercial bb
just need to work out cutting plan for 8`x4` ply sheet
Thanx again.:cheers2:

Nice one MM been looking for somthing like this for commercial bb
just need to work out cutting plan for 8`x4` ply sheet
Thanx again.:cheers2:

make a test one first it is fifteen years since i made a commercial nuc, i just measured an old one i use as a firewood box

For hand holds drill two 30mm holes in the short sides and use a fret saw and join the holes together to make sort of porter escape type hand holds , the insert blocks the hole

Last edited:
make a box external measurements 465mm x 233mm x 300mm deep out of 12mm ply, mesh floor 233x465 and two feet runners 465x18mmx18mm

the frame legdes are made out of 9mm ply insert 209 wide x 276mm set down 24 mm then add 6mm frame runners ( or cut 6mm wedges on the top of the insert)

crown board 465x233 out of 12mm ply

roof 480 x 248 plus side to your own depth

MuswellMetro said:
make a test one first it is fifteen years since i made a commercial nuc, i just measured an old one i use as a firewood box

Thanks for these Muswell Metro, the measurements work really well.

I'm making up a swarm box - although not quite finished (still a lid to go, but got the frame ledges in and now the glue is setting).

And surprisingly, for me, it doesn't look too bad!
20130623Nucbox.jpg

Back