Piping Virgin and very loud Honking response

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Opened a hive last week to perform some Regicide but the bees had already sussed the lazy thing out and were in the middle of succession. Loud piping from the Black Queen on the prowl with a cacophony of honking from 3 sealed QCs which I don't think I would have found if the noise hadn't been so loud. Released them all and let them fight it out.
Here is a link to three clips of the action at the top of my Facebook site:

https://www.facebook.com/goodwoodhoney/

I thought I'd post it as a few bee keeping associations have asked to use it for training purposes - which is very flattering.

Crikey, you would swear there was a flock of geese nearby, judging by that noise.

Well done for having the presence of mind to video it.

CVB

Great footage. I had similar earlier in the year. Amazing noise. Your queen is quite fast!

I wonder how giving your location as a virgin queen waiting to emerge in response to a released queen is an evolutionary advantage? Surely one would keep quiet?

Yep, iphone 5 which is great but the autofocus sometimes goes mental when filming bees....
Also v diff to see the image when filming in bright light and looking thro a veil. Its a fire and forget sometimes and hope for the best, deleting the rubbish afterwards!

Perhaps OK for twitface users. Not very user friendly for the saner part of the population! Like not accessible.

Strange mention of Welsh blacks when's there's none in sight.

Great footage. I had similar earlier in the year. Amazing noise. Your queen is quite fast!

I wonder how giving your location as a virgin queen waiting to emerge in response to a released queen is an evolutionary advantage? Surely one would keep quiet?

Surely they're announcing the presence of a ready to emerge queen to the already emerged queen, so she can bugger off as a cast swarm knowing that the original hive has a queen in residence? That gives an evolutionary advantage in all cases apart from when the colony is too small to survive a cast leaving.

Latest posts

Back