Paynes Poly Nucs, converting to double

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I know that plenty of people have removed the feeder from their Payne's poly nucs but has anyone converted it into a double nuc? My thinking is that with the feeder removed you could drill an offset entrance at the other end and put a seperator lengthways in between the two entrances to create a double nuc? If someone has done it, has anyone tried converting one of their millar feeders to allow you to feed both sides seperately?

Or is there some obvious reason not to do it?

Last edited:
The six frame MB nucs come with two entrances as standard (well, my jumbo Langstroths did). Ideal for 3-frame splits at the right time. I would not be too keen on doing that with deeps, particularly for overwintering, unless well located. That said, some quite easily overwinter in mating nucs.

The Paynes box is too narrow for a 2 x 4 frame nuc box once the feeder is removed. Been there, tried that.

The MB boxes have ample space for 2 x 3 but take care the Q can't get over barrier ... been there as well :mad:

The Paynes box is too narrow for a 2 x 4 frame nuc box once the feeder is removed. Been there, tried that.

The MB boxes have ample space for 2 x 3 but take care the Q can't get over barrier ... been there as well :mad:

Have converted some to 8 frames, can't see why couldn't use the flimsy Perspex cover as a central divide cut to size to separate to make double 4 frame Nucs

Latest posts

Back