Paynes Poly Hive Leak

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beecarer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Two of my hives hefted a little light so I decided to give them some fondant as an insurance policy. I opened the feed hole, put the fondant over the hole, added a super and closed them up.

On inspection today to see if they were using the feed I noticed a huge amount of moisture accumulating inside on the flimsy crown boards. The flimsy which was propolised firm to the brood chamber when they went into winter is now loose. The roof normally hangs down over the brood chamber and would protect this area from driving rain etc.

ioAswV2.jpg

c8KhSDK.jpg

U5M1qBL.jpg

1s2kpiq.jpg

This winter has been exceptionally wet here but was just wondering if anyone else had noticed moisture ingress on their Paynes Poly Hive where they have left the super and flimsy on for feeding purposes?

Last edited:
If roof leaks, the water should be over the plastic film.
That must be condensation water under the film the heat of colony lifts the warm moist air up, and then droplets rain down.

One possibility is that outer roof is not tight, and cold leaks under roof, and that is why it condensates. Perhaps propolis makes that? Or could it be so that outer roof is too thin, and insulation value us less than in walls.

You may put enough insulating board over the the box as inner cover.

But lots of moisture, and however a mesh floor.

Or, the bag lifts the roof up, and let cold come under cover.

I take the flimsy off, put fondant straight onto top bars, empty super on top, filled with insulation in plastic bag, then the flimsy, then the roof. Never have a problem with water. I would say part of your problem is condensation and part rain driven in under the flimsy. I use a hive strap to keep all joints tight.

I take the flimsy off, put fondant straight onto top bars, empty super on top, filled with insulation in plastic bag, then the flimsy, then the roof. Never have a problem with water. I would say part of your problem is condensation and part rain driven in under the flimsy. I use a hive strap to keep all joints tight.

+1:iagree:

I make a cover which fits flush to the roof and projects down over the sides to insulate the roof/body join on my MB poly. Makes condensation of the crown board a thing of the past...

From my experience, all poly hive ekes (the super you're using as an eke) can easily slip about when placed above a plastic crown board - so, strap the hive really tightly (using two straps if necessary). Stones on the roof are no good.

Secondly, you have condensation because the crown board is cold. Add extra insulation above the crownboard so that it is the warmest surface in the hive and you won't have condensation. For the extra insulation, use kingspan and cut a hole in it for the food, or use some sort of soft insulation that will wrap around the fondant.

PS - correction: MB hives as used by Madasafish do not slip about as they have a little lip holding them in place.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, looks like a combination of condensation and a bit of rain entering along the side. Possibly the strap wasn't on tight enough as suggested. But yes it is mostly condensation due to the cold bridge created by the void in the super (eke).

You should have a 3 cm high frame to put between box and roof. You may cut it from kingspan board.

You should have a 3 cm high frame to put between box and roof. You may cut it from kingspan board.

That would be the ideal job in keeping the space to a minimum, I will see what is available locally to make these.

Latest posts

Back