Partially capped honey frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Lang

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Only one
Hi there,

So I have a mixture of capped, uncapped and partially capped honey frames in my hives.
Most of my frames are only partially capped, between a quarter and a third of the frame, mostly the centre of the frames remain uncapped.
I was hoping to get my frames extracted soon, but obviously can't if they're not ready yet.
How are other people managing at this time of year?
Should I leave the supers on untill they are mostly capped?

Thx

Hi there,

So I have a mixture of capped, uncapped and partially capped honey frames in my hives.
Most of my frames are only partially capped, between a quarter and a third of the frame, mostly the centre of the frames remain uncapped.
I was hoping to get my frames extracted soon, but obviously can't if they're not ready yet.

Thx
Give the frames a shake. If nothing comes out, it is OK to extract. You don't need to wait for them to be 100 percent capped.

Hi there,

Not actually essential but have you invested in a honey refractometer yet? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226020390288?_nkw=honey+refractometer&itmmeta=01J5887TSX28XG5HFYSKYCWYKD&hash=item349fdd7590:g:vlgAAOSwuF5l3Mbj&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx+KZ9MfhVJKkHHRIu2sHCwm5KvXFGPZIFY2pAOLZqqoR+sWYKBLdt--50EgJhtnz+6Bq+rENkwYVr8LexKnPrcw0/lynfykC0gKDRKjmAND/gnjfBN9tNBviJ5MIPD4CkHAu4P+mfgyxUJlHul2t4QQze68oZnMC3Dju6V5jzNfCG3XVsKMcav9kpYq4xEd6iZhdjcFhQxltabmQbIdJRbaQkM8ZAeChEehTQmgi1b9k/N72jLdXPdYkpbssvVB+beUbXj8/mHEU=|tkp:Bk9SR4atn4iqZA

Hi there,

Thx
The honey in my partly uncapped frames is coming out at 18%
Invest in a refractometer. They are cheap as chips.

I have a fair few frames of unwired and currently uncapped comb.......I want it for making chunk honey.....will they eventually cap it?

Who knows?
I have taken most of my honey. Every colony now has a super of largely uncapped honey on top. I'll have a look again in a couple of weeks and pop them under for a few days if the honey isn't capped. I've found the best time to get cut comb done is during a flow when they are filled and capped pretty quickly. Right now the bees may we start eating the honey in dribs and drabs and the capping may well be uneven

They're a pretty strong colony.....I think it might be time to pull them....see how it goes xxx

It's always the same Nick, you have to call time at some point in order to get effective treatments done. Then there's ivy, I have seen some that's very advanced this year.

It's always the same Nick, you have to call time at some point in order to get effective treatments done. Then there's ivy, I have seen some that's very advanced this year.
Yes the ivy is only a few weeks away here in Norfolk. Big buds already. It was out in late August last year here. You certainly don't want that foul stuff in your supers

Yes the ivy is only a few weeks away here in Norfolk. Big buds already. It was out in late August last year here. You certainly don't want that foul stuff in your supers
It’s budding up here too, as to it being foul that’s a bit harsh, it’s probably better for you medicinally than any other honey in this country, and personally I like it’s flavour, it makes lovely soft set if you don’t use to much of it, it also sells in its pure form for more than heather honey 🤷‍♂️
In almost a decade I’ve had it twice in supers, I wish it was more

It’s budding up here too, as to it being foul that’s a bit harsh, it’s probably better for you medicinally than any other honey in this country, and personally I like it’s flavour, it makes lovely soft set if you don’t use to much of it, it also sells in its pure form for more than heather honey 🤷‍♂️
In almost a decade I’ve had it twice in supers, I wish it was more
Hmmm. We get tonnes of it. Perhaps I'll start harvesting it. I usually leave it for the bees which saves on sugar. I've often wondered if Ivy honey helps with nosema. It has a similar smell to Thymol.

It sets really quickly, I imagine you don't wait for it to be capped?

Hmmm. We get tonnes of it. Perhaps I'll start harvesting it. I usually leave it for the bees which saves on sugar. I've often wondered if Ivy honey helps with nosema. It has a similar smell to Thymol.

It sets really quickly, I imagine you don't wait for it to be capped?
I’ve had both set and runny( uncapped)
Interesting thought about it helping with nosema.
I’ve only had small amounts of it from up on the hills.
Cost wise 12 oz jars for 12.50- 15
So if you ever have buckets of it let me know 😂 soft set £10.
I’ve also read that it breaks down mucus when you have a cold, family members have said it helps, funny enough I’ve never had a cold when I have it in stock to try the theory out.

Reactions: Ely

Latest posts

Back