Paradise Super frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have recently bought a couple of Paradise Bee Box Langstroth hives to try out next season, M… Beekeeping haven’t had any medium frames for the Supers in stock for months and don’t look like they will, MB have given me the dimension for the frames for the medium boxes (supers) as 19” X 1/16” X 6 1/4” which are Dadant Shallow Frames so I’ve sourced some frames from another source, They don’t fit, the side bars seem to be just a tad too long, with two supers the frames in the top super are touching the top of the frames in the lower super and lifted off the runner, anyone else experienced this?
obviously the side bars need to be shortened a tedious job with a hand saw.

I have recently bought a couple of Paradise Bee Box Langstroth hives to try out next season, M… Beekeeping haven’t had any medium frames for the Supers in stock for months and don’t look like they will, MB have given me the dimension for the frames for the medium boxes (supers) as 19” X 1/16” X 6 1/4” which are Dadant Shallow Frames so I’ve sourced some frames from another source, They don’t fit, the side bars seem to be just a tad too long, with two supers the frames in the top super are touching the top of the frames in the lower super and lifted off the runner, anyone else experienced this?
obviously the side bars need to be shortened a tedious job with a hand saw.

Your friend surely have table saw, and you may saw them in bunch. Own table saw costs about £100, and you may do lots of things with it.

Then cut the lower bars, that the stick comes between the side bars. Or saw the lower bars from a board.

Not found it to be a problem and use them in Swienty supers also.
Is your top bar flush with the top as this could be the problem?
From the rail to to the bottom (ignoring the lip) is 6 1/4 but the top bar sits below the top.
The bottom bars are flush with the bottom of the side bar.

Have you got the top and bottom bars the wrong way up? - the slot in the top and bottom bars are not meant for wax (as in National frames), it is for the wire if using un-wired wax.

They are illinios depth Langstroth supers. From memory, this should be 6 5/8" if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks Finman but living in a flat doesn't practically allow me to have a Table saw, but I shall tediously modify each side bar as said in the op, my question was not how to resolve the problem but if any other Paradise users had encountered this problem!

Not found it to be a problem and use them in Swienty supers also.
Is your top bar flush with the top as this could be the problem?
From the rail to to the bottom (ignoring the lip) is 6 1/4 but the top bar sits below the top.
The bottom bars are flush with the bottom of the side bar.

With one super over the brood box there no problem, the frames are sitting correctly one the runners but if a second super is added then the frames of that super are directly in contact with the bottom frames lifting them off the runners thus no bee space between the user and lower super frames, not sure if the bees would be bothered as they can still get up to the upper box between the frames.

With one super over the brood box there no problem, the frames are sitting correctly one the runners but if a second super is added then the frames of that super are directly in contact with the bottom frames lifting them off the runners thus no bee space between the user and lower super frames, not sure if the bees would be bothered as they can still get up to the upper box between the frames.

Something not quite right there, you need to look into that.

MB gave the depth of side bars at 6 1/4" (Dadant shallows) which these are, Illinios's would be too deep.

From what you said, it sounds like the top bars of the supers are too high. Langstroth frames should be top bee space. is there a bee space ontop of the frame?

Thanks Finman but living in a flat doesn't practically allow me to have a Table saw, but I shall tediously modify each side bar as said in the op, my question was not how to resolve the problem but if any other Paradise users had encountered this problem!

Many countries have own Langstroth dimensions, as Hivemaker said.
Once I got Russian Langstroths boxes. They were 5 cm shorter than Americans.

Last edited:

Then it's your topbars that are wrong, compare a brood frame lug with one of your super frames

What is wrong wit sourcing from the hive supplier. You won't be wanting them for 'months', will you? If they cannot supply frames, return them as ' not fit for purpose'.

What is wrong wit sourcing from the hive supplier. You won't be wanting them for 'months', will you? If they cannot supply frames, return them as ' not fit for purpose'.

That is best choice. You will not need those frames untill in May.

It would seem MB don't know their own products, the Langstroth medium boxes they sell are in fact Langstroth shallows, frames sourced and problem solved.

maybe they should stick to selling garden gnomes and inco pads.

It would seem MB don't know their own products, the Langstroth medium boxes they sell are in fact Langstroth shallows, frames sourced and problem solved.

maybe they should stick to selling garden gnomes and inco pads.

I have loads of these all fitted with Dadant shallow frames, sounds like they are now selling Langstroth shallow supers

Latest posts

Back