P*ynes national poly nuc super. neat trick!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
So if like me you have a few of the poly nuc ekes which are in my opinion a bit too big, there is now an easy way to get a National poly brood body. Buy a poly super and stick it under the eke!

The gap between the top and bottom frames is 22mm but it is easy enough to remove 16mm from the otherwise redundant frame rail in the eke so reducing the gap down to a respectable 8mm.

You now have a multi use 2 piece system that can be used as a super, eke or second brood box as required. Oh, and you have less equipment to store.

So if like me you have a few of the poly nuc ekes which are in my opinion a bit too big, ...

The eke is the right size for its design objective - creating a 14x12 nuc.

And yes, a 14x12 eke on a National shallow/super creates a box that is deeper than a DN frame requires.

That's interesting, I didn't know they were designed as a 14x12 converter as they are not marketed as such by our supplier over here but simply as an eke.

Where we get them.

http://beesupplies.ie/nucleus-hives/polystyrene-eke

I've only ever used them as ekes and for that purpose they are too big unless you fill them up with kingspan.

Anyway, the point is that they can be used with the super to make a national sized brood extension for your poly nuc. Take it or leave it.

So if like me you have a few of the poly nuc ekes which are in my opinion a bit too big, there is now an easy way to get a National poly brood body. Buy a poly super and stick it under the eke!

The gap between the top and bottom frames is 22mm but it is easy enough to remove 16mm from the otherwise redundant frame rail in the eke so reducing the gap down to a respectable 8mm.

You now have a multi use 2 piece system that can be used as a super, eke or second brood box as required. Oh, and you have less equipment to store.

wouldnt you have an 18mm gap half way down both ends were the frame lugs would sit in normal use? Wouldnt they fill this with brace comb?

You could also use the lid upside down as a nice coffee tray when friends visit.:icon_204-2:

wouldnt you have an 18mm gap half way down both ends were the frame lugs would sit in normal use? Wouldnt they fill this with brace comb?

I personally have never had one filled with brace yet....

I have seen one filled with brace, but that was a very congested NUC with a flow on. everything was braced!

Latest posts

Back