P*ynes Feeder (National not Nuc)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 poly hives
I know there have been posts on this subject in the past, I have carried out a search but can't find the appropriate threads.

I shall be feeding this week using the new P*ynes feeder (bought last year but not used), I know there have been issues with drowning bees. What adaptations have people made to overcome this problem? Photos would be great, if available.

Many thanks.

Hi

For their " MK2" feeder:

I cut a couple of perspex strips to length,drill them for small stainless screws & attach them to the bottom of the slide in walls. This reduces the gap at the bottom of the feeder & therefore allows syrup in but no bees out into the main feeder

I initially used mesh for this but they propolise it, so I now use 2mm perspex

I file the top of of the slide in walls flat at the ends ( where they slope ) so that I can use a perspex cover board on top , this ensures nothing (wasps slugs bees ) can enter from above

Had the same problem with the PPoly feeder, loads of drowned bees despite putting floats in the 'tanks'. This morning I set one up by using self-adhesive latex draughtproofing strip (E section though I guess any would do) carefully all around the top edge of the feeder, no gaps, in order to ensure that the roof to box seal is absolute. My eventual suspicion early in the season was that the drowned bees were robbers that had got through the poor fit between roof and feeder, rather than feeding bees wilfully submarining into the syrup. Just been up to check, the feeder centre section is full of bees, and not one in the syrup 'tank' spaces. Hoping that this has cracked it!
PS plenty of wasps around too but none inside
:ohthedrama:

Hi

I initially used mesh for this but they propolise it, so I now use 2mm perspex

That's what I did, I didn't wait for the bees to propolise it....I nearly threw it away but now I use it without the side walls to feed cappings.....works really well for that
The apiary is only five minutes walk from the house so as I can visit every day (did I say....just the once?)I use a 2Litre rapid feeder.

I filled my mk1 feeder ith foam, glued the lid down on it and now use the whole assembly as an insulated lid

I can't say I have had any problems with bees drowning, you just need to be sure the lid is on tight. Would be better if the gap between the slide-down walls and the bottom were a bit smaller. Once the food is gone the bees pass under it which makes it again to refill.

Mk 1 and 2 are bee drowning devices, would not buy any more of them. Manufacturers should build prototypes and test them properly before selling them. As bee farmers I cannot understand why P's didn't notice the gap was massive and bees were drowning in the feeder.

Last year I had many drowned bees which occurred when the syrup got down to the level of the gap and the bees went under the slide in parts and drown.

Solved the problem by adding a piece of thin plastic to the bottom of the slide in pieces. Completely sealed the huge gap at the bottom with the plastic strip and then cut slots with a junior hacksaw to let the syrup through.

Would buy more if they changed the design but not prepared to buy a feeder than have to modify it.

OK people, you're correct, the Pay*es Poly feeder is a chocolate teapot. No drowned bees this time but I let the level go below critical for this bit of kit and the bees are out - smoked most of them down in order to refill but that is not satisfactory and took ages. :hairpull:
Having put the lids to my rapid feeders in a safe place (NTBFA) I haven't much choice but to find a way of continuing to use it, as all other feeders are in use and this colony needs building up. Bother bother bother.
Really angry with Paynes, do they have anything to say for themselves? I'm not dicking about with strips of Perspex, haven't got any, and the feeder barriers won't come out anyway, I tried before using it and I think they're well bonded in. Grrrr!

I have a mk 1. Sorted it by pushing fine mesh under the walls to stop bees coming through, and making perspex lids: however I don't like large feeders as if they decide they don't want it (eg late flow) you're left witha tank of spoiled syrup. I can get to my hives often, so I use all 2L rapids now.

To remove the dividers put some hot (not boiling) water in the feeder so that it works into the side slots. After a while place the fingers of both hands under the divider and gently press upwards. This worked for me on three feeders I have.

Latest posts

Back