Overwintered Poly Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
On Saturday I did my first inspection of one of my small colonies overwintered in a Poly Nuc. Jumbo Langsroth with 14 x 12 frames on adapters and frame feeder.

This was the colony I was the most concerned about as they are the calmest bees I have, a real dream to work with.

3.5 frames of brood and eggs, lots of workers, queen seen plenty feeding on fondant remains and pollen being brought in. Will probably need to go into full hive in the next 3 or four weeks.

I noticed that the temperament had changed slightly like all my other hives and they were a bit more feisty than normal. Four workers actually flew from the frames and investigated me although they did not try to sting, just had a look and went back on the frames.

How I wish all of mine are like these.

Still, two small colonies through the winter on Poly. One larger colony on Cedar failed that can be attributed to temperature. All others appear OK on Cedar.

I know which way I am heading for the future....Poly

Yes, my initial findings are that they are not behind the timber frames re- brooding, as some on here advocate.

But my test sample is not really big enough to draw conclusions. I will be shifting my most forward poly nuc colony to a full hive fairly shortly.

'Roll on' the MB poly National.

Regards, RAB

Yep .. beekeeper hell in some areas...

My friend tries poly hives and they are in woods pastures.
First a wood pecker made holes and then a pine marten made it bigger.

During one week he captured into cage 3 pine martens with honey lure.

maar6372-terjekolaas_1250194146_1250194160.jpg

Awaiting Stonleigh, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason, but there may be others.

Regards, RAB

Awaiting Stonleigh, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason, but there may be others.

Regards, RAB

Stoneleigh???
Aaaaargh.....will have to leave husband to deal with house viewers and feeding chooks on his own then.

White Park Cattle......I have asked on MB website....

Update

They did not last the three to four weeks, had to hive them today. Population explosion. Lovely bees, classic frame layout. 2 frames of uncapped honey. Run out of space in the langstroth Jumbo nuc.

They are now in their new hive.

Before you get totally carried away here is my reality.

I lost just over 50% due to bad beekeeping in Autumn. (MIL was extremely ill, resus situation)

Worst are on a patch of brood the size of the palm of my hand.

Best are on two frames of brood at 33%.

Location dear friends.... location.

PH

Latest posts

Back