Over-wintered nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the criteria for feeding heavy syrup (say 2:1) in a contact feeder instead of fondant? I don't understand the difference - presumably the bees have to dissolve the fondant in water before it can be used.

It is just a habit what beekeepers use. First you should look, do bee need more food. I have given allways as syrup, because bees need drinking water to lick the fondant. Some beekeepers are absolutly that opinion that bees will became sick if you give syrup.

Some believe that sugar feeding accelerate brooding but it does not.

I think that it is easy to bye normal sugar and give 2:1 syrup.

Strong syrup is better than 1:1 because bees dry up the syrup and in cold hive extra water makes only condensation problems and bees work harder to store the syrup.

Last edited:
Thanks, Finman.

I've put some 2:1 syrup on both nucs. Did it this afternoon - sunny, ~8C. Glad I suited up first - they were a bit dischuffed when I removed the last vestiges of the fondant.

When you walk around in a short sleeved tee-shirt and it feels comfortable thats warm enough.

Sad to report that on that basis Yorkshire Nucs would never get to their 'new' home!

Yorkshire version probably reads, 'when you can inspect the hive for 5 mins or more without knees knocking together it is probably warm enough'

On 4 March I replaced the last vestiges of fondant on a commercial 5 frame nuc with 1.5 litres of syrup. Since then we have had Night temps from 0 to-4C together with day temps from -1 to +6C and a dusting of SNOW - so much for the first month of spring:svengo::svengo:
Mike
PS still a healthy Zzzzzzzzz when the hive is tapped:)

Repwoc,

Has it been warm enough yet? I was down your way yesterday and weather was goodish and it is actally quite warm here today.

I was expecting you to have posted that you had moved them over.

Regards, RAB

Haven't moved them yet. I'll see what the weather's doing this weekend. Forecast is 11C both days but a bit iffy on Saturday rain wise.

Latest posts

Back