Outdoor weather station

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Actually, I have been considering one, but my apiary (ahem, I mean one hive) is about a quarter of a mile away. Anything out there I can access/read from home?:

how about a standard weather station connected a netbook with 3G dongle stuffed under the hive roof?

BTW WTF 400m - i can't imagine a microclimate making that much difference? or if so, why not take a stroll over with base station in your pocket?

Last edited:
"Actually, I have been considering one, but my apiary (ahem, I mean one hive) is about a quarter of a mile away. Anything out there I can access/read from home?:

how about a standard weather station connected a netbook with 3G dongle stuffed under the hive roof?

BTW WTF 400m - i can't imagine a microclimate making that much difference? or if so, why not take a stroll over with base station in your pocket?

Have reconsidered my distance (should have read quarter to half mile) and realised it is much closer to 3/4 to a mile.

Difference between them is I live in a long run of terraced houses with small gardens and it is very sheltered.

My site is on a very large allotment with little cover, a large fetch for wind and seemingly a completely different microclimate. When it rains at my house, it rarely raisn on my plot.

Don't have the opportunity to get over to the site that often (it attracts calls to the police after dark), and my plot is smack in the middle of the site, a good 200-250 yards from the gate. Would a base station even pick up data at that kind of distance?

An interesting thread as it is loosely related to that 'work' thing that I get involved in. I can recommend the Vaisala WXT520 for the dog's danglies approach. Sit down, 'cos it ain't cheap at a smidge over £1500! in fact, at that price, the buyer might as well bimble off to sunnier climes for the winter, not worry about the weather and still have a few quid in change!

No, I don't have one. Yes I do use them as part of my day job. Maybe academic for the sheer cost but it is a rather nice unit producing air temperature, baro pressure, rainfall, rainfall intensity, wind speed, wind direction, RH. I think that there's something other than cat gut inside it (and I have yet to see a little wooden man or woman appear).

Demonstrates the sort of stuff available just a little further up the scientific scale. It's nice, but then, it probably would be at that price :)

Latest posts

Back