Our little furry "friends"

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just a heads up here.

Mice are on the prowl with the break in the weather.

I put bags of poison under my floors. Found two empty today.

Also keep a close eye on your stored kit. Mice cause so much damage it is unbelievable and I hope you never see it.

PH

Have you tried glue boards PH,they work really well.

Not up on them Admin, I just pop my little gifts under the floors, though mind my floors are on the ground.

PH

this little darling was hiding out in my workshop, thankfully I found it, and its friend before it done any harm :)

GetAttachment.jpg

Many years ago there was a film I saw at college.

The scenario was that the house, due for demolition anyway, which was left as if a family had gone away for a weekend. So food in cupboards and so on.

They popped in a pair of mice. Then sealed the house mouse tight.

6mths later they opened it up again and filmed it. Dear me....

To be honest I think one good shove from a wee lass would have collapsed the place. I have never seen anything like it.

All food gone, all insulation off the electric wires, holes galore through the walls, joists nibbled through, the list goes on and on.

Another wee favour mice once did me was to cut through ONE string on each bale of some 1000 in a barn. NOt both, just one. Had to put the whole lot through the baler again whilst stationary. Middle of winter down to my tee shirt and sweat in all directions.

Not keen on mice really. But you guessed that by now.

Best bait on a trap? Matthesons smoked sausage. Even in the midst of hundreds of wet supers it is fatal.

PH

They have a fatal weakness for peanut butter too.

I find honey works very well as a mouse bait.

No surprises there!

One problem with poison is that they tend to die in inconvenient places and then smell!

I find the 'little nipper' traps work a treat.

.......I find the 'little nipper' traps work a treat.

A while ago I placed two baited LN's under the floor, next day one trap untouched and the other had disappeared!!

Not seen or heard any mice since though.

Ian

The little nipper ones do vanish, and I suspect young rats are the reason.

PH

Little nipper and a cube of Mars Bar works for me:cheers2:

You give them Mars bars? You spoil them :)

Stale bread does for mine.

The little nipper ones do vanish, and I suspect young rats are the reason.

PH

I am sure you are right. In November, I tried a rat trap by way of a change and got a very slim young female rat that had managed to slip in through some narrow hole.

My mice seem to have gone off honey as bait. I am trying banana in the hope the novel smell will attract them.

The problem with a bee shed is that there is a constant replenishment of mice. Most of mine are field mice and it is a real shame to have to kill them. But as someone said earlier, they make a terrible mess once they get going.

Furry Friends

The problem with a bee shed is that there is a constant replenishment of mice. Most of mine are field mice and it is a real shame to have to kill them. But as someone said earlier, they make a terrible mess once they get going.[/QUOTE]

As you say the stock is just replenished as per foxes! could you not make the store part of the shed 'mouse tight' metal cupboard or similar? Seems a shame to kill something for no reason.;)
Regards
TBRNoTB

Is that the same one as can be used for wasps in autumn Mark?

Its the same stuff, be warned though that it only traps, doesnt kill , though of course death will occur before too long in one way or another (and of course you may also attract larger predators who fancy a nice bit of fresh mouse for themselves).

So it is quite possible that you'll find a glued living rodent or worse awaiting for your own justice to be applied

Becareful with anticoagulant poisons as other predators such at birds of prey etc can get 2ndry posioning and haemorrhage to death. Traps are better.

Latest posts

Back