Ouch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely for it to hot enough to do that it would also scold the flesh?
I'll stick with a bit of itching I think

Doctor recommended to do my best not to get stung, That was all.

If the problem gets any worse than swelling local to the site of the sting (particularly if you get any "systemic" {whole body affecting} reactions), then you need to tell your Doc to organise a RAST (test) for you - this puts numbers on the strength of your reaction, and might lead to the prescription of an EpiPen or (more constructively) referral for desensitisation therapy.

Doing your best not to get stung is however excellent beekeeping (rather than medical) advice.
There IS a lot one can do to change that risk by the way one works with the bees. Maybe the subject for a different thread!

I assume epi-pens are only available on prescription, and hence you would need to see a Doctor? Do you have to be Medically Trained to use on another person? e.g. not yourself?

I assume epi-pens are only available on prescription, and hence you would need to see a Doctor? Do you have to be Medically Trained to use on another person? e.g. not yourself?

Given the risks of being sued, I would never use an epi-pen on another person - even if they asked..

Yes they require a Doctor's prescription.

Like any other prescription medication, you definitely should not be offering it to anyone else.

Anyone thinking of using their EpiPen on anyone else should run the idea past the Doctor that prescribed the thing. Beforehand.
If you don't dare to do that, don't dare to jab anyone else with it.

The Michelin Man

:eek:

Have kept bees for 5 years now and have been stung lots of time, usually through my own fault. Got to the point that if I was stung it hardly registered as I had built up a natural defence.

In April, I carried out a small job on my hives, had the veil etc but was wearing a pair of trousers with a tear in them. Got a full dose sting on my inner thigh that hurt like billy-o but thought nothing more about it.

About 10 mins later, doing a dif job in the garden, started to cough, then itch all over, then I noticed my tounge had started to swell, as did my face !!

Realised what was happening and banged down a couple of anti hystamines. Was going to get a neighbour to take me to A&E but wasnt getting worse so I lay down for a bit and was fine.

Have been stung through the glove a couple of times since with no reaction.

so.....

1. The first sting is not the one that will effect you, so if you have had a reaction in the past, always be prepared, either by carrying antihystamines, taking one BEFORE you work on your bees or seeing your doctor and getting an Api Pen.

2. I put my reaction largely down to not having been stung for over 7 months and then getting a full dose rather than a small one through a glove or clothes, so dont cut corners, always make sure you are fully kitted out even for a 5 min job.

I would be very careful regarding an epi pen, if you think some one is having an anaphylactic shock and they are actually having a heart attack the adrenaline could kill them. If some one carries an epi pen they know the symptoms they would inject themselves. Call 999 if its a big reaction they could be dead in 3 mins. I have had to administer an epi pen then dialled 999 the ambulance service were brilliant and wouldn't mind if it wasn't that serious, its better to be on the safe side than dead

I would be very careful regarding an epi pen, if you think some one is having an anaphylactic shock and they are actually having a heart attack the adrenaline could kill them. If some one carries an epi pen they know the symptoms they would inject themselves. Call 999 if its a big reaction they could be dead in 3 mins. I have had to administer an epi pen then dialled 999 the ambulance service were brilliant and wouldn't mind if it wasn't that serious, its better to be on the safe side than dead

For what it's worth, I've just got my first aid at work certificate (the 3-dayer) and the tutors made it clear that if someone has been prescribed an epi-pen then injecting them with it won't do them any harm.
However... this wasn't in the context of a heart attack and I'm not claiming any sort of superior medical knowledge. Just chipping in with the most recent competent advice I've been given.

I should be more clear, if you come across someone you think is having an anaphylactic shock take heed, if they tell you that's different. A coroners court is not a nice place. I teach first aid/advanced first aid/first responding for the Ambulance Service.

I have held a Blackbelt in kickboxing ( also am an instructor) for several years, So I am used to a bit of pain !!

I have my second dan in Ju Jitsu and I too instruct, but I find I get more pain from a bee sting than the students :icon_204-2:

I recently attended a club discussion regarding stings etc and very interesting it was.

The basic recommendation was to carry an epi-pen especially if you tend to your bees on your own. Also good if you have visitors to your hives as they may have no idea about their own susceptibility to bee stings.

As someone allergic to bee stings I can telly that is a really bad idea!!!

Eppi pens are no joke, given to the wrong person you will kill them!!! (eg adult dose to a child). If someone is allergic they will know, and they will have their own pen.

Don't do it.

Last edited:
I should be more clear, if you come across someone you think is having an anaphylactic shock take heed, if they tell you that's different. A coroners court is not a nice place. I teach first aid/advanced first aid/first responding for the Ambulance Service.

Thanks, your knowledge definitely trumps mine!

Always 999 be safe for your patient and yourself :judge:

Always 999 be safe for your patient and yourself :judge:

"Make it someone else's problem as soon as possible" was pretty much the cornerstone of the training! If I had reason to suspect either heart attack or systemic anaphylactic reaction then I would be straight onto an ambulance!

Latest posts

Back