Opening Hive in Winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the BEST THING I can do

Arguably, heed the advice that has already been offered. The over riding priority seems to get fondant on to them as soon as possible. the detail of how best to do it is secondary.

Depending on equipment availability, either as Charles has said or if not, then cover top of fondant in cling film, squash flat then place on top bars or over crown board feed hole pressed down to touch top bars.

Removing the crown board will lose heat.

falling out with the wife for spending too much time with the bees.(Its the dogs The bees And where,s my dinner she says)

Now thats what I like to hear,your not alone,many of us are guilty of the same..

From most of the information I have had so far it tells you to leave the bees alone in Winter."Does it do any harm to open on a milder day and have a quick peek?" So far I have opened 3 times, Once to see if they were alive next to feed fondant next to see if they were eating the fondant.

Don't open them up in the winter, even if they are flying. It is one of the reasons I like the glass (perspex) quilts.

Another valuable monitoring device is the medical stethoscope or (better) a "listening stick" as shown below. One of them is made of scrap wood, and the other from a darning mushroom and a TV aerial.

Place the pointed end on the side of the hive, and your ear against the flat end. You will be able to hear the faintest of buzzes from the bees, and if you listen in several places you can deduce where the bees are.

Rap gently on the hive (don't deafen yourself) and you will hear the bees react.

Regards

Savoyard

Great idea. I've not been able to get close enought to the hive to put my ear against it.

GScott - Re your earlier post and as clarification, opening the hive is not just a question of losing heat. This in itself causes an inevitable burst in metabolic rate and that rate is sustained enough to cause an appreciable extra load on stores. It's not just the heat but the corresponding disturbance, consumption and possible depletion of stores (breakfast time!) that may cause problems later.

Whilst I get all that you are saying here, if it is more than 10c as it is today, then will such heat loss not be that significant?

It's not the heat loss alone. Imagine this, you are slumbering away at 3 a.m.. A team of removal men barge in and heave the bed upon which you were sleeping up into the air, opening all the windows and generally giving you a bad time into the bargain....

I would imagine that the disruption might not be well received - but at least you will be able to console yourself with tea and biccies (aka stores).

Once perhaps.. but then there are some who go back and do it all over again!

Get the picture?

Latest posts

Back