Open mesh floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Calderone, N.W. A three-year study of screened bottom boards in the Northeast. Proceedings of the American Bee Research Conference (2007) American Bee Journal 147 (5): 436 – 437.

Has anybody got this paper or knows where I could get a copy (without paying).

Apparently (according to Scientific beekeeping site) the open mesh floor is not of much use in monitoring or controling varroa.

It will also show Finman that us British guys can read scientific papers.

My first port of call would be Hivemaker. My guess is he will be able to point you in the right direction.
Andy

Polyhive might have one, I remember he had lots of old papers from a university.
you will have to PM him

It will also show Finman that us British guys can read scientific papers.

Oh dear.

I bought my first 2 mesh floors 1987 when I bought my first poly box.
They went to dumping place y 1988.

We talk here about luck of drunken man.

Polyhive might have one, I remember he had lots of old papers from a university.
you will have to PM him

We have thousands and thousands mesh floor hives which are wintered every year in -30C frost. I ask from those guys if I need adwise.

I need not a a single advice from USA about wintering. They just do not know how to do it.
They kill their hives in Alaska and Fairbanks University says that the killing is the most economic way to handle wintering.

Some universities recommend to use 60 kg winter food (3 langstroth boxes) to get bees over winter. In Finland we use 20 kg.

Sciece....is far from that..Guys are mad.

And Canada.. Not much better there...

Last edited:
If I need knowledge, I may call to Mr. - but I need not in this issue.

- X: 3000 hives
- Y: 1000 hives
- Z : 1000 hives
-and many more.....

That is science here. We have not scientist on beekeeping area.
But all these are smart guys and keep they living tools alive.
That is not forum game and nonsense speaking.

Last edited:
BUT

It is not a secret that our guys too are ready to fight up to death for their floor types. They are tens....

My opinion is that a floor does not bring any honey. My life is however more value than some piece of mesh.

......modern floors and "it is history" floors

Some universities recommend to use 60 kg winter food (3 langstroth boxes) to get bees over winter. In Finland we use 20 kg.

Sciece....is far from that..Guys are mad.

And Canada.. Not much better there...

Average honey production in Finland - 40kg ..... http://www.beekeeping.com/countries/finland.htm

In Canada - 66kg ..... http://www.beekeeping.com/countries/canada.htm

Any sign of that leg healing ????
smiley-sick003.gif

BUT

It is not a secret that our guys too are ready to fight up to death for their floor types. They are tens....

My opinion is that a floor does not bring any honey. My life is however more value than some piece of mesh.

......modern floors and "it is history" floors

What are you on? :serenade:

Latest posts

Back