one hive busy two hives quiet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all, the last few days that I have checked my three hives ive noticed that one hive has bees bringing in loads of pollen and the other two are doing nothing at all just the odd bee coming and going, would there be anything wrong with the two hives, the last time I gave a proper inspection of all three hives was two and a half weeks ago and everything seemed to be fine loads of brood and eggs.

Hi, I think I would have a quick check, just to see that all is ok. This time of the year, wasps can take over. Have you a reduced entrance in both these hives. Have you treated for varroa? Are they both Q right. Have they got sufficient stores? if not start to feed. Is there much nectar in your area? Without more information, it would be hard to know why so quiet ,so I would check.

Hi Markfitz,
Depends where they are in their brood cycle one feeding larvae and other two capped brood or on a brood break even. Supercedure another possibility. Have a little peek next nice day, so that you can stop worrying.

thanks everyone theres plenty of stores and they have been treated and they don't seem to be taken over by wasps, wasn't planning on opening the hive again till next year but I guess ill have a look to try and put my mind at risk, hopefully as beeno says there on a different brood cycle

thanks everyone theres plenty of stores and they have been treated and they don't seem to be taken over by wasps, wasn't planning on opening the hive again till next year but I guess ill have a look to try and put my mind at risk, hopefully as beeno says there on a different brood cycle

Out of interest, are they different strains? I only ask as one of my colonies is mongrel, but predominantly black in colour and I notice these guys are far more likely to venture out in poorer conditions than the buckfasts to their right. I would deffo check to put your mind at ease... Unfortunately it's going to be cool all week so inspection would have to be a quick affair!

It is odd how they act differently. I've got two hives from the same queen. One is super productive, the other is so clam I've never used smoke on them but they are building up very slowly. I'm going to see what happens over winter and may requeen the slow one.

I've got two hives from the same queen

Dom
....but maybe the eggs used to raise the 2 Qs were fertilised by sperm from different drones, same reason you see different coloured workers in the same hive?

I've got two hives from the same queen

Dom
....but maybe the eggs used to raise the 2 Qs were fertilised by sperm from different drones, same reason you see different coloured workers in the same hive?

I understand that it is just surprising how different they are.

Do let us know what you find.

sorry for getting back late, when I got around to checking the hives all three had laying queens and thankfully all three a flat out working on the ivy even in wet weather, thanks everyone for there help

Good to hear, try putting your ear flat to the side of the hive and listening to them. I believe you can tell loads from the 'tone'. Give one quiet tap and listen, if the hum rises and falls then all is not lost! If you hear no change then consider looking in, probably weak, hungry or sick!
Others will scoff but it has kept me in good stead for 30 years!
E

Back