Oil seed rape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john t

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been for a drive this afternoon, noticed OSR fields in full flower, with this warm weather we could get a good honey flow,

Only if it stays warm enough. About 5 or 6 years ago we didn’t get any surplus crop until the latter part of May. So little that some beekeepers were feeding colonies until late May.

Drove past some OSR parks today and they are a good 10 to 14 days before they begin to flower so some 6 weeks later than last year.

Seeing how it showered today when all the forecasts said no rain I have zero confidence in our forecasters, despite having literally billions spent on computers and satellites to be able to find their bum cheeks with both hands in a room of mirrors.

PH

It's been out for 8 days here in Kent, but there's also absolutely masses of tree blossom out at the same time time which my bees appear to be favouring so far. I saw a couple of bees with yellow heads last week but nothing evident today.

Also in Kent with lots of OSR flowering but no sign of bees with pollen on their heads. Plenty of pollen going in and in more colours then I've ever seen before, but it's OSR honey I want most. I can sell as much as I can get of that. Everybody seems to love it.

Unbelievable how much mine has altered in five days, hardly a flower on Monday and now half in bloom, loads of trees and hedges full in bloom also, the bees seem to be working both sources.

Last edited:
Coming out at great speed in our corner of Lincs as well. Local wisdom is thinking it will be a short season though, and as colonies not all up to speed yet it could be a relatively poor year.

Latest posts

Back