Oh no another can of worms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As someone new to the idea of bee keeping and not wanting raise political issues or thin skin comments I would like some serious information if anyone can help, it is not my intention to debate just to learn.So here goes.

Are tbh's problematical?
Is there any good evidence not to use them?
My budget for beekeeping attracts me to them as I am able to build them myself from freely available timber.
Lang's would be my favoured if I could affored to go that way.
Truthfully what is the position on these things before I make up my mind?
I have considered one tbh this year or maybe next by the time I get sorted
and a lang or similar the following.
I am a little confused and not experienced so please be gentle .
Thanks in advance.

Well this is only my second year but my immediate re-action is if it's langs and low cost you want why not go with poly?

Well this is only my second year but my immediate re-action is if it's langs and low cost you want why not go with poly?

Are hives constructed out of petrochemicals really a good idea?

As someone new to the idea of bee keeping and not wanting raise political issues or thin skin comments I would like some serious information if anyone can help, it is not my intention to debate just to learn.So here goes.

Are tbh's problematical?
Is there any good evidence not to use them?
My budget for beekeeping attracts me to them as I am able to build them myself from freely available timber.
Lang's would be my favoured if I could affored to go that way.
Truthfully what is the position on these things before I make up my mind?
I have considered one tbh this year or maybe next by the time I get sorted
and a lang or similar the following.
I am a little confused and not experienced so please be gentle .
Thanks in advance.

I was told bee inpectors dont like tbh's because they're often difficult to examine-that should tell you something if you intend inspecting your bees regularly

Polystyrene. Most of Europe uses this for hives (so I'm told).

I have wooden hives so I'm not pushing poly just providing one answer to the question.

As to whether they are a good idea - pros and cons have been argued on here many times so make your own mind up.

Learner - have a look at www.swienty.com/

They look interesting if not fragile?
I guess beekeeping is more expensive than I had originally thought.
Maybe I should go back to the idea of building langstroth or national it is something I can do and buying frames. Another reason for going tbh was honey extraction seems abit more messy and not so easy but does not require expensive equipment and yes cost is very important to me.

Amongst those who've never used them, there's a lot of prejudice against TBHs - they have a great many advantages, are almost criminally cheap (there are threads on another forum on how to make a hive "for a dollar")
- and for an impecunious beginner are an excellent place to start!
I've said it before, I'll say it again - 2 hives, populated with bees, all the equipment I need, smoker etc. - circa £100 the lot..............:cheers2:

Hmm seems people cant resist debating when all I asked for is a little advice I realise we all have opinions though , I guess all I would have liked is facts?
I will consider poly and recycled wood.
Thanks for the links they will give me some areas to look at.
Seems the final choice is to be made based on economy and personal likes/dislikes.

Firstly, welcome to the forum and ask away.

If you have wood you can build a Langstroth as well as a TBH. Just need a modicum of skill for either. More important for the dimensions to be acurate for a named hive.

You can make the frames for the Langstroth if you wish, just more work.

TBHs are a different ethos. Hands off beekeeping. Less honey crop taken. Supposedly fewer chemicals needed for keeping them alive (or using less before they die).

Question may be: Can you machine as well as 'build'? Langstroths need a bit more precision and accuracy.

Swarm control is relatively non-existant with a TBH.

You could google bees on toast (naked beekeeper) and ask on his forum.

I have no reason to put you off TBHs. Your choice in the matter.

There will not be so many with TBHs (as a proportion of the members) on this forum as on some others but there are still plenty to provide some insight, I would think.

My advice is build one of each and compare, if you are able to accommodate them safely.

I might try one somewhere one day but not in my residential garden. Or a Warre which is another hands-off alternative, and easily built. Swarms are best avoided with close neighbours.

The important bit is for more colonies of bees. Go for whichever you decide and the best of luck with it. Go on an appropriate course before you start, though - unless you can find a mentor to guide you through your first foray into this art/craft or whatever you want to call it.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Oliver yes build from the raw material is what I meant full machine shop and skills no problem.

thh's are the contender but warre is attractive I have a copy of his book and am going to study it some more.

As I have mentioned this year is probably to soon for me I want to get this right so I will be on a course soon.

Hey Brosville impecunious awsome word it sums me up but I am rich in many other ways.

Are swarms more of a problem with tbh's then? Anyone have stats or experience?

If you want a langstroth and willing to make a hive, why not make a langstroth? the plans are on the net free, there is always usable scrap wood around, even making frames are not too difficult, if you join an association, they will have an extractor to loan out, cheaply if a few of you extract at the same time. Beekeeping does not have to cost a fortune but you do have to be practical.
I built a TBH last year and intend to try it out this year but I can't help feeling that a hive with frames is easier for a beginner, but that's just my opinion.

Have fun either way

Enzo

Hi Learner

Yes Tbh's/vertical hive types are more prone to swarming, no stats I am afraid just experience.

Tbh's can be fun, but don't get sucked in by all the hype.

Honey extraction/harvesting even from standard hives does not require expensive equipment, comb honey can be produced or crush and strain if you want. Also if you are a member of a local association many have extractors for memebers to hire for a couple of £

Regards Ian

Last edited:
On the other hand you could buy second hand and scorch to kill any nasties.

Or make out of plywood?

Scottish beekeepers website has free plans.

Thanks Enzo
Those polystyrene hives also look good at about 80 pounds each, I could build a shell similar to a wbc to fit round one.

Back