Odd bits on Inspection Board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Can anyone help identify these bits on my inspection board. You can see a dead Varroa bottom left for scale. I have noticed it is concentrated in the same area every day for past two days when I inspect the board. There seems to be bits of it all over the board but wondered why so concentrated if just bee poop?

Attachments

• IMAG0831.jpg
    IMAG0831.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 95
Its hard to tell from the picture. I thought it looked like wood shavings...have you checked that there isn't something nibbling at your frames?
Thanks B+. It is waxy in texture so not shavings. Thin, curly debris which would suggest some type of droppings? I understand wax moth would be darker and thicker.

Larger chunks of uncappings could be robbing.
Looks darker like brood cappings though.

Curiosity meant me putting on bee suit this afternoon to check it out some more and had a quick look in the top box in the area I thought it may be. Relieved to still see lots of (docile) bees and capped stores (8 frames 12x14 full of honey and a small amount of open stores and brood and they are still drawing wax on outer frames). Seem to be happily foraging from front activity. Very occasional wasp taking away bits of dead drones from outside hive who have recently been evicted. Did not go near bottom box which from recent activity, I suspect is fine but decided not worth de-propolising their seals and disturbing them too much. Ivy about to come out here. I think on balance it may be chewed capping from exiting brood (you can roll it into a wax like ball). Found this helpful link too http://www.tbhsbywam.com/screen-floors/ which shows some of the debris to expect although nothing exactly like what I have. There is another pile on the inspection board since this morning but if it is from the bottom box don't think anything I can do at this time.

Can anyone help identify these bits on my inspection board. You can see a dead Varroa bottom left for scale. I have noticed it is concentrated in the same area every day for past two days when I inspect the board. There seems to be bits of it all over the board but wondered why so concentrated if just bee poop?

Brood cappings ... seen lots like this in my hives. Usually in a line across the width of a frame.

Latest posts

Back