Numbered discs for beehives.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All my queen's have there own letters and numbers eg
Ls 01 hm01 wl01 RH 01 Sp01 F 01 these are apiary sites and I have a diary just for queen and hive numbers.
Hives have numbers wrote on them with perminent marker
Queens named after apiaries rather than lines? I reckon that will cause some paperwork issues as you progress in your breeding plans. It's not that I can't see where you're coming from with regards to general records just that it might be wise to ident queens a little more specifically in light of your own long term queen rearing goals.

.........I'm, not sure about that, it's queens 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 versus Alaska Thunderflip 5000, Bimini Bon Boulash, Conchita Wurst, Divina da Campo, Erickatoure Aviance and Farrah Moan. I would need labels bigger than the hives for that lot! ;)
How many full hives do you have? I just remember their positions and don’t bother with numbering on the outside of the hive. Just give them a name and number in my notes.
I do number Nucs on the outside though as I can have a few going at certain times and I’ll be moving them around between apiaries so need to keep track

Queens named after apiaries rather than lines? I reckon that will cause some paperwork issues as you progress in your breeding plans. It's not that I can't see where you're coming from with regards to general records just that it might be wise to ident queens a little more specifically in light of your own long term queen rearing goals.
Aye eg lineside 01D/ CB 21/6/21 daughter or heath mynd 01 JG June 21 mother.

Aye eg lineside 01D/ CB 21/6/21 daughter or heath mynd 01 JG June 21 mother.
That's where issues will creep in, I think, unless all heath mynd queens have been raised from the same mother family (and you never introduce any other lines to that apiary). In ten or so generations the records will be shakey, or at the very least, hard work.

That's where issues will creep in, I think, unless all heath mynd queens have been raised from the same mother family (and you never introduce any other lines to that apiary). In ten or so generations the records will be shakey, or at the very least, hard work.
What are your thoughts? I do have an app on the laptop which I know a friend uses for his queen's and colonys maybe keeping both sets of records?

With 60 hives as CGF has and a number of different apiaries his system of numbering is either going to get very complicated when colonies are moved or it's going to become meaningless in the information it provides.

JBM's sytem of numbering queens and tagging the boxes they are in requires only a simple card index to keep track of when/where/what's happening in relation to any queen and her subsequent issue. KISS principle applies whenever you are keeping records or they dissolve into chaos.

Is this what you use? There's plenty of ear tags knocking about on the farm.

See earlier post from Newbeeneil ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/M-Z-100pcs...tags&qid=1642623270&sr=8-14&tag=forumyield-20
You are better off with a simple numbering system and either a card index or notebook that you can track your queens and their performance in (I'm sure there are loads of phone apps/spreadsheet you could do it digitally but propolis and phones etc. not a great combination). Or a laminated sheet and a chinagraph pencil you can keep under the roof with the relevant queen/colony. If you want to track lineage then it's easy to develop colour coding to sit alongside the queen number so your numbering system just becomes Blue 23 - or whatever. You have to look to the future and how your system will stack up as the business grows - more so if you intend selling your super queens...

Anything that is numbered works for me. I happen to prefer the square plastic numbers designed to slip onto a collar for cattle - mainly because they are big.

Is this what you use? There's plenty of ear tags knocking about on the farm.
I tried that for a while, now they get a note in the diary with their position in the apiary as their identification.
When moving bees about now only hives of particular interest get followed closely so I can keep track of their lineage and that's again done with their position in the new apiary marked in the diary. If there's nothing distinguishing on the boxes then they're given a temporary chalk or crayon mark while in transit.

My queen info is on a label and pinned inside the roof, it follows the queen wherever she goes and like Ceri, I note her position at the apiary in my records.
Lines are denoted by colour and apiary ID where mated included along with year.

What are your thoughts? I do have an app on the laptop which I know a friend uses for his queen's and colonys maybe keeping both sets of records?
I'm not the best person to ask because I have little interest in numbering hives. A bit like mbc I track daughters of queens of note (until such time as they're not worth tracking) beyond that I'm happy with generalised apiary records.

The idea of double records seems unnecessary to me.

Personally I need to know why I'm rearing daughters from a specific queen while you need to know that much and also where she originated from unless you're going to settle as a producer of local/mongrel bees - which to be honest probably isn't a bad thing. The first 'named' bee I can remember was one that flew through the kitchen window when I was about 3 years old, "that's a cotswold hybrid" I was told... A vivid memory even today. I'm not sure where the Cotswold hybrids were sourced, quite possibly/probably Burtts of Gloucester. What I am fairly certain of is that it was just an open mated Italian, possibly once or twice removed. Drifting way off Beebe's topic now!

Latest posts

Back