• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nuc Wanted Wiltshire area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrado608

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I am new to be keeping, I have done a beginners course, joined my local club and have a new National hive but can't find any bees !!!. Does anyone have or know where I may get a nuc from. I live in Wilts but am willing to travel

Hi
Where in Wilts are you - I am in Wiltshire too - new to beekeeping also but using a Top Bar Hive (TBH). I am looking for a nuc too! Kind regards Bumble

Hi to both of you and Welcome to the forum,what part of Wilts are you in ?
If you are happy to travel over to Winchester I may be able to sort you out a Nuc.

I live just outside Chippenham in Wiltshire

Hi, I live near Chippenham too, just outside Devizes in fact. I would be more than happy to travel for any advice and help - what kind of hive do you have?
Bumble

I have Nationals plus a Langstroth,Bumble have you tried the biobees forum for a few top bar frames of brood and bee's ?

I think its a very good hive if you like to save money or go down the natural route.

Yes. I had purchased a National Hive and was about to get started with that. Read about keeping bees in the traditional way and was thinking it was not for me as there were too many "issues" that it raised in my mind. Quite by accident I went to a talk by Phil Chandler (biobees) not knowing what it was about - but it had bees in the title so that was good enough! Came away absolutely buzzing - but in a village of traditional keepers, I feel a little lost - especially being new, I need a mentor on the same wavelength if you know what I mean. kr Bumble.

I would say anyone who wants to use a TBH in the uk needs to chat with Phil and the guys at the Biobee's forum,you will not go wrong taking advice from them.

Bumble what was the "issues" that concerned you with using your National hive ?

I would say anyone who wants to use a TBH in the uk needs to chat with Phil and the guys at the Biobee's forum,you will not go wrong taking advice from them.
Brilliant! I am awaiting my login permission and I shall be off! Thanks a lot for getting me on my way - I shall let you know how we get on (me and my 5 and 7 year old) that is. kr Bumble

I have also been to a talk by Phil, found it very interesting but have decided to go down the traditional route for now, but may look at a TBH in the future. Bio Bee site and forum is very good

Admin.

Glad to see you have changed your mind!

Regards the TBH if you do not use it then I will buy it from you,I am always after a little extra timber for the fire come winter time.

I think its a very good hive if you like to save money or go down the natural route.

Bumble what was the "issues" that concerned you with using your National hive ?

Last edited:
Jon its what happens when you are an Admin,I stand by what I said regards they are good for firewood in my eyes but each to their own I say.

Anyone would think that you were either trying to make me look stupid or you were trying to stir trouble,what one was it ?

I can see nothing in the highly selective quotes from admin that would suggest a change of opinion or that is in the least contradictory.
Could be sumarised as
" Have a chat with the guys at biobees as they know everything there is to know about tbh, which i believe to be good for beekeeping on the cheap, though personally i would use the bits of timber to keep my smoker alight"

In fact far from showing a change of mind it shows the openess to voice an opinion and listen to others without ramming it down someones throat that is a major reason why most are here

I concur with your insightful analysis David and to return to the initial thread, can I repeat that Mike at EasybeeProducts <click here>, to the west of Gloucester can probably provide you with Nucs. Look up the telephone number and give him a call. They are collected in a correx box, so ensure that you have the appropriate woodwork to house them once you get them home. If in doubt, ask. Mike will put you on the straight and narrow if necessary. Carniolan queens, gentle, industrious, overwinter well etc etc. swift build up in spring, so have a tendency to swarm if not managed - seems that trait has gone universal this year as the bees are on overdrive and have brought their calendar forward to surprise everyone.

If you are reading this Mike, what is your lead time to collection for new new Nucs ordered now?
As information for new and maybe impatient beekeepers who need to know how busy you are.
My bees (collected Monday 20 April 6pm - two working hives) are building up nicely. A joy to watch.

Regards,

Anyone would think that you were either trying to make me look stupid or you were trying to stir trouble,what one was it ?

Neither. That's not my style of posting. I just saw it as a contradiction.

Hi,

I am new to be keeping, I have done a beginners course, joined my local club and have a new National hive but can't find any bees !!!. Does anyone have or know where I may get a nuc from. I live in Wilts but am willing to travel

Did you Wiltshire keepers find nuc's?

I am currently making a couple of nationals (in the end it probably would have been cheaper to buy!.. The timber cost me a fortune!)

I will be looking for a nuc in about a week. I fear I may have left it too late..:(
... all the proffesional breeders I have found are sold out for 2009 and don't particually want to be robbed blind as the demand outways the supply :boxing_smiley:.

Have you tried contacting local pest control companies to let them know that you would be interested in a swarm? My local firm tell me that they have trouble finding homes for them and are happy to give them away to anyone that supplies their details.

Latest posts

Back