• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

****** Nuc sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertodemarco

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
did anyone else see the payne's Nuc sale in the last week of may/1st week of june?
Nucs were marked down from £195 to £95.

I think you were reading the deposit bit.

Product ID : Carniolan_nuc
A 6 frame nuc on British Standard frames, suitable for National or WBC hives.
Full Price: £195.00
Deposit: £95.00

Jumbo (14x12) 6 Frame Nuc
Product ID : Jumbo (14x12) 6 Frame Nuc
Nucleus of Bees on 6 Jumbo frames (14x12)
Full Price: £225.00
Deposit: £125.00

Sean

I think you were reading the deposit bit.

Product ID : Carniolan_nuc
A 6 frame nuc on British Standard frames, suitable for National or WBC hives.
Full Price: £195.00
Deposit: £95.00

Jumbo (14x12) 6 Frame Nuc
Product ID : Jumbo (14x12) 6 Frame Nuc
Nucleus of Bees on 6 Jumbo frames (14x12)
Full Price: £225.00
Deposit: £125.00

Sean

FFS, why can't bees be sold at a reasonable price over there? That is just insane.

It's not as if it's any harder to raise Queens or produce colonies in the UK, it's just a stupid market that everyone colludes in.

Chris

FFS, why can't bees be sold at a reasonable price over there? That is just insane.

It's not as if it's any harder to raise Queens or produce colonies in the UK, it's just a stupid market that everyone colludes in.

Chris

It IS harder... look at the cold wet spring.. many virgins did not mate properly and local breeders had/still have hardly any to sell..Plus 30% colony losses means that many beginners were wiped out.. as were some commercials as well.

Chris

:iagree: Rip-off or what!

Chris

It's a rip off but unfortunately it seems that the laws of supply and demand govern the price of bees as well as everything else. As long as people continue to buy at these prices there will still be concerns that will sell them at that price. I wonder, if there are nucs left unsold, whether they will cut the price later in the season (although it's pretty late now...) or keep them until next spring and try and sell them then ?

nucs

had sale on the nucs when you opened up the iwantbees site-gets worse, bought 6- then had to settle for 3, ordered 2 buckfast + 1 carni, they sent 3 buckfast & wouldn't send a car5ni queen when I pointed out the error.
Roger payne very rude & abrupt-stated 'I picked 3 buckfast you'll have to settle for them-will not use them again, his attitude stinks

It IS harder... look at the cold wet spring.. many virgins did not mate properly and local breeders had/still have hardly any to sell..Plus 30% colony losses means that many beginners were wiped out.. as were some commercials as well.

If you are a member of a division, you will likely find there is a ceiling placed upon the price of a nuc, colony or even swarm if distributed via the division.

£200 for a nuc is far too steep and is probably why people are stooping to theft, so they can box up nucs and flog them off.

had sale on the nucs when you opened up the iwantbees site-gets worse, bought 6- then had to settle for 3, ordered 2 buckfast + 1 carni, they sent 3 buckfast & wouldn't send a car5ni queen when I pointed out the error.
Roger payne very rude & abrupt-stated 'I picked 3 buckfast you'll have to settle for them-will not use them again, his attitude stinks

:iagree:
I've also experienced a similar attitude when returning to them with a problem after purchase. I'm none too impressed

You clearly have no experience of France or the climate which of course varies from north to south and east to west. The last two years have been worse in France than the UK in spring with the same problems but only Brits and a few hobby keepers will pay stupid prices here, perhaps that's the difference, very few hobby keepers here.

Chris

:iagree:
I've also experienced a similar attitude when returning to them with a problem after purchase. I'm none too impressed

I am very surprised to hear this, i have used them for a few years now and have ordered a fare bit from them over the years and never had a problem, in fact i have found them to have a very prompt delivery service and reasonable prices, and Roger has always been very helpful indeed and full of advice, must have been an off day i guess we all have them from time to time, i have no problem in ordering again, in fact will do so tonight.:D Chris

Chris

There are two sides to every coin, a good nuc will easily collect £400 worth of honey at retail value in a good season such as this one. Many sellers will be ruing selling too many nucs early on, if they had kept on to them they would have had their two birds in the bush land in their hand plus still own the bees and equipment.
On the other hand, re selling imported rubbish is another matter.

Last edited:
I am very surprised to hear this, i have used them for a few years now and have ordered a fare bit from them over the years and never had a problem, in fact i have found them to have a very prompt delivery service and reasonable prices, and Roger has always been very helpful indeed and full of advice, must have been an off day i guess we all have them from time to time, i have no problem in ordering again, in fact will do so tonight.:D Chris

I've spent over £1,000 and yet still don't get good customer service. I find that when there is an issue, they just don't how how to handle it. They do have good products, but it's the service that just lets them down. It makes you lack confidence in what they do, and makes me have a nagging feeling of what if it's not right...
I'm considering what to do with my hives, as I want poly and 14x12.

I have good Standard and Commercial nucs for sale at £90 (bees and frames). I think that is a reasonable price, simply trying to get some of the money back I spend on the bees during the year, it helps me buy new equipment and look after my bees well. There is still plenty of time for them to be hived and build up before Autumn. They are normally easy to winter in a Polynuc as well and is quite a cheap way to obtain a bit of extra "insurance" for the winter.

And yes, I think if nobody wants them at that price I will probably winter them myself and sell them in spring if I don't need them as backup.

Last edited:
I have good nucs for sale at £90 (bees and frames). I think that is a reasonable price, simply trying to get some of the money back I spend on the bees during the year, it helps me buy new equipment and look after my bees well.

And yes, I think if nobody wants them at that price I will probably winter them and sell them in spring if I don't need them as backup.

It is a supply and demand, people are selling their bees for what they are willing to be bought for.

I've not sold any nucs, might do next year. It will take a while to break even from all the stuff I keep buying, P&L last check was -£2,400ish

I've spent over £1,000 and yet still don't get good customer service. I find that when there is an issue, they just don't how how to handle it. They do have good products, but it's the service that just lets them down. It makes you lack confidence in what they do, and makes me have a nagging feeling of what if it's not right...

I don't spend very much, but I've always had excellent service from P@ynes - and I have complained too. They sent me the wrong size queen excluder by mistake. I needed one for a Swienty poly, they sent me one for a wooden hive. They replaced it and told me to keep the one they'd sent. I'd certainly buy from them with confidence.
I'm considering what to do with my hives, as I want poly and 14x12.
There is Beehive Supplies in Cornwall as an alternative, making both standard national and 14x12. I think itma started a thread about their hives. CWJ also sell poly nationals, made by Swienty.

Latest posts

Back