Nuc - Mark II

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cork beek

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hey guys,

This is my second nuc ive made and i think is considerably better than the first.

First off as you can see from the pics there is waterproof felt on the roof (the first didn't have this, but is painted with wax paint)

Secondly there is insulation on the inside of the roof (ive since added this to my first nuc and all my hives)

Thirdly, I did make a mistake and made this 25mm to long width wise but that actually ended up been a good thing because i put insulation on both of the sides in between the outer side piece and the 6mm piece of ply on the inside.

And finally, i made the crown board so that it can be turned either way with out crushing any bees (first nuc can only be put on one way)

Oh ya, the first nuc had a 20mm hole as an entrance, ive gone for a "normal" entrance on this one

:):)

DSCF1341.jpg

DSCF1343.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

DSCF1345.jpg

DSCF1346.jpg

DSCF1347.jpg

DSCF1349.jpg

A few thoughts and comments for the next one.

I would not be keen with OSB (sterling board) unless completely covered from the elements.

I like your improvisation with the insulation, but it will leave a wide gap where it is short of the top.

A dummy board or a wide feeder might have been an alternative.

I am not seeing any ventilation of the roof space

No slope on the bottom ends will mean water will collect at one end or the other (will need a slope downwards at the entry/exit to prevent water ingress, so problem may be worse at the other end). A slope of at least of 7 1/2 degrees is needed to ensure water will actually run off and not just pool.

Made top bee space, the crowndoard could be a simple sheet.

RAB

A few thoughts and comments for the next one.

I would not be keen with OSB (sterling board) unless completely covered from the elements.

I like your improvisation with the insulation, but it will leave a wide gap where it is short of the top.

A dummy board or a wide feeder might have been an alternative.

I am not seeing any ventilation of the roof space

No slope on the bottom ends will mean water will collect at one end or the other (will need a slope downwards at the entry/exit to prevent water ingress, so problem may be worse at the other end). A slope of at least of 7 1/2 degrees is needed to ensure water will actually run off and not just pool.

Made top bee space, the crowndoard could be a simple sheet.

RAB

Thanks for the feedback oliver90owner!

I only used the OSB becasue i had it in the shed, im looking to use pine or something similar next time and have it much thicker that the OSB (11mm)

I completely forgot about the ventilation for the roof so ill be taking a look at that today! not worthy

The plans i was working from didnt actually have the slope at the entrance but i knew that would be a problem and will be chisel it out over the next few days.

And the crownboard was made that big simply becasue i didnt have any other wood. ive since got my hands on some 6mm ply so am gonna modify it.

Some good valid points there oliver, and will keep them in mind for the next nuc i think of making! :)

My recently purchased flat pack nuc has no roof vent. Do I need to install one?

If you can, then yes. im still looking to see where i can put mine. if you are gonna put a hole in it, i wouldnt make it to big, possible 20mm? put mesh over it

A full OMF if you plan to keep bees in them for a long period of time

I only plan on using these for summer which is why i didnt go for the full OMF redwood. but looking at doing it for the next one, also plan on using thicker wood to help during winter

Isnt this a bit elaborate for a Summer nuc? I took advice from this forum ( or maybe the other one) a couple of years ago which was that nucs did not need ventilation and a simple box would do. I think I would only put vents in and an omf for a nuc I was going to overwinter some bees in. And then I'd have an eke to put fondant in as well.
The only thing I'd add is that Top and bottom bee space is useful.

Isnt this a bit elaborate for a Summer nuc? I took advice from this forum ( or maybe the other one) a couple of years ago which was that nucs did not need ventilation and a simple box would do. I think I would only put vents in and an omf for a nuc I was going to overwinter some bees in. And then I'd have an eke to put fondant in as well.
The only thing I'd add is that Top and bottom bee space is useful.

very true, but no harm have OMF.

I have 1 nuc that has no openings in the floor and they seem to do ok. I transfered them to a brood chamber a few days ago

my post count is up, and pictures added in another construction post here.

for my two penny's worth on this one, the vents in bottom pose a problem, as if using it to collect a swarm, unless you raise it up on legs, when placed on any surface, the vents cannot work
but unless you have a moveable slider across the vents on outside, they then pose another problem, as if it was raised on legs, and you had got 50% of bee's in, a large portion would crawl underneath to the vents rather than into the box

my post count is up, and pictures added in another construction post here.

for my two penny's worth on this one, the vents in bottom pose a problem, as if using it to collect a swarm, unless you raise it up on legs, when placed on any surface, the vents cannot work
but unless you have a moveable slider across the vents on outside, they then pose another problem, as if it was raised on legs, and you had got 50% of bee's in, a large portion would crawl underneath to the vents rather than into the box

It will placed on a hive stand, so it will be about a foot and a half of space under it.

As for the the bees going underneath the nuc, the first one i did has the same floor and seems to work fine. I have done inspections on it and they do go under it, but the bees at the entrance start fanning and they all move over. Id say ive have found 2 - 3 bees dead under the nuc

Latest posts

Back