Nuc into 14x12- preferred way.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerslease

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 and 3 nucs.
I will shortly be getting a five frame nuc on National brood frames which I want to move straight away into a 14x12 broodbox. Should I start by adding a 14x12 frame at the centre or the ends of the nuc frames?

Hi SL

I have used 3 dummy boards in tottal for my nucleous introduction

I have dummy board 1st then the 5 national brood frames (I always keep them together) then 4 14 x 12 frames finshed off with another 2 dummy boards at the entrance end.

When all brood frames are 90% drawn I take out the 1 dummy board then push up the 14 x 12 towards the entrace and place a new 14 x12 in the middle of the new frames. then I repeat the process once the frame has been drawn out, Leaving the 1 dummy board inplace at the back making it easier to manipulate the brood box when doing inspections etc

Thats how I do it and looks like it works for me , others may disagree thats what I like about this forum one says one thing another says somthing else !!

Grub

I will shortly be getting a five frame nuc on National brood frames which I want to move straight away into a 14x12 broodbox.

For a start will it need moving to a full hive immediately? All nucs are not the same.

Secondly, they will draw wild comb in preference to foundation.

If that is the way you intend to go, don't bother with any foundation at the start. If not, fill under those frames so they don't build under, place them adjacent to one wall and give them a frame either side or (as I would do) two frames on the one side.

Use a divider (preferably not a dummy frame) to keep them cosy and add frames of foundation as they progress.

I started them them at the back of the hive and I used a divider board with a cut-out at the bottom for their access and the nest expands towards the front of the hive. It does not really matter how you go about it as long as they have a small amount of foundation to work on and are not subjected to a cold cavernous box to start drawing. These are half as big again as a deep brood, remember.

Nowadays, I have drawn comb, anyway, and I only did this when changing from deeps to 14 x 12s, a long time ago.

They will also tend to draw more-even comb if the frame is next to a flat surface Frames drawn next to wild comb can be a bear.

RAB

Latest posts

Back