Nuc box to "catch" swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malawi2854

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I'm hoping to get myself a couple of swarms this year, to increase my numbers, and am just looking at the equipment to load the car up in anticipation.

I have a plastic nuc box (5 frame, I believe) that my first bees came in last year - it has ventilation on it - I just wondered if this would be suitable to put a swarm into for transport back home to an empty hive?

I believe the box was made by Easyb** - if you're familiar with their boxes?

Thanks!

A nuc box will probably be ok to transport a swarm back home in. But in my experience, a decent swarm will easily fill a nuc box with bees.

If you can, I'd hive them into a hive straight away. More space if they are a prime one and less disturbance. (No transferring equipment.)

Personally, if it can be helped, I'd never rely on a nuc to accomodate a swarm.

You might want to tape up (duck tape) the two exterior vent holes or else bees might try and use these as an entrance. Remove tape for journey home. I would take the full complement (five) of frames.

Above box is too small for a whoppa swarm. Just as well to take a brood box if you can.

Be it brood box or nuc box, always put in the full complement of frames when hiving a swarm. Give them the choice and they will much prefer to cluster and build wild comb ... because that's what bees do.

Latest posts

Back