Nuc Advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swifty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

Started beekeeping three weeks ago after completing a beginners course and so far have one colony from a nuc supplied by my local bee inspector which is doing fine, brood box now full with one super 2/3 rds full of honey after adding 5 days ago, so far all looks well with this colony.

My question is is it too late to be buying a second nuc (11th July) of 5 frames made up of 3 brood and 2 stores. Will there be enough time for the nuc to be able to build itself up to survive the winter or is a waste of money?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi all

Started beekeeping three weeks ago after completing a beginners course and so far have one colony from a nuc supplied by my local bee inspector which is doing fine, brood box now full with one super 2/3 rds full of honey after adding 5 days ago, so far all looks well with this colony.

My question is is it too late to be buying a second nuc (11th July) of 5 frames made up of 3 brood and 2 stores. Will there be enough time for the nuc to be able to build itself up to survive the winter or is a waste of money?

Any advice appreciated.

Go for it. Plenty of time for a nucleus colony to build up before winter. I use Paynes poly nucs and have overwintered them on just three frames and they've made cracking colonies this season.

Thanks for the replies i think i will be going for it.

One more question i have a choice of a nuc with last summer's queen really prolific layer and good temper OR a nuc with this summer's queen but too soon to say their temperament but they came from a nicely behaved colony.

Are there any plus and minus for which nuc to choose?

Thanks for the replies i think i will be going for it.

One more question i have a choice of a nuc with last summer's queen really prolific layer and good temper OR a nuc with this summer's queen but too soon to say their temperament but they came from a nicely behaved colony.

Are there any plus and minus for which nuc to choose?

last years queen may build up very fast before winter so could require more equipment than just a nuc. She could also get superceded later this year and then you still won't know the daughters temperament. last years queen is almost guaranteed to swarm May / June next year.

This summers queen could stay quite a small colony if she doesn't get going straight away. I often find that with my bees, but then they blast away the following year and are often my biggest colonies. Its just nervy getting through winter if you only have 2 colonies. Temperament of this years queen could be anything. If its open mated then local advice from the area she came from and the strain if known would be helpful but you never can tell really.

Its all part of the fun learning.. Good Luck.

Cheers, Mick.

Hi all

Any advice appreciated.

I'm a week in .. I made two 5 frame nuc I've knocked down all but two QCs in both nucs . I did think about introducing new queen's but I decided to leave them to it . I would go for it good luck . All my virgins have mated this year thus far .

One of many reasons I don't keep local mongrels. Even if your area's are of a gentle disposition :)

It's a very fair point and quite true, BUT, I have 5 colonies with 2016 queens going forward. It will be interesting to see if any or all get superceded later, become drone layers or if I get any into a 4th season. Yes I should requeen with younger queens but they are still laying really well and will go to the heather this month.

BUT, I have 5 colonies with 2016 queens

My Buckfast drones really must fly extraordinary distances :)
Those are not swarmy bees.
We need to swap a few colony's around and see how they produce.

My Buckfast drones really must fly extraordinary distances :)
Those are not swarmy bees.
We need to swap a few colony's around and see how they produce.

I must admit, this year is a real eye opener. To see the true potential of bees that are restrained by our local climate most years is quite something.

Don't get me wrong, my 2016 queens are still here because of careful management I have learnt to do, they would be long gone every year if I let them..LOL

Back