Now that's a cut out !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did he say he was spraying into the opposite cavity? That was an impressive colony!

Quick question to encourage you to think about timings for cutouts.

Can you be sure you will get the queen safely, alive and well?

I'm leaving my feral colony in tree as much as I would like the challenge - established in 2012 and still going. Children work and what seem ever expanding bee numbers gets in the way of extra bee stuff like cutouts

Love cutouts

I take it kind of like an inspection. Remove outer combs usually of honey. Then suck bees up from each comb as you go. Finding queen is challenging. Ive found her on the floor once after i was almost finished. Other times she's been sucked up or run off hiding and never found her. I try to keep fresh eggs as warm as i can and wire the comb into a frame and get it back with the bees asap just in case.

Just a case of suck it and see i guess!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

April suggested to avail of period before numbers were significantly larger, thus making a cut out, my first more difficult.

Whilst balancing against temps being to low earlier in the Spring. Another factor to consider would be that if queen was not captured, would like to raise a queen from her eggs.

To do so would need to try time when Virgin queen emerges, would be Drones available to mate with her.

For those who perform cut outs in a roof situation.

Apart from sealing up holes how do you overcome the potential for a return swarm being attracted by the smell of old comb.?

Has anyone noticed what looks like a large emerged Q/C about 6 minutes in. I also didn't see any uncapped brood. I hope the emerged queen was present and mated.

Bee Quick? If so, it does work.

I oresume this negates the pheromes and idours that might otherwise attract a new swarm , or us that incorrect ?

No, it's a bee repellent. It smells disgusting to humans as well, and it isn't a good idea to inhale it because it really does make you catch your breath.

It does persuade bees to leave compost bins etc rather quickly, but I don't think I'd ever use it to clear a super because I wouldn't like that smell anywhere near honey.

Bee quick smell does not linger at all.

Latest posts

Back