Not a lecture......a lesson

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't Pete, I'm sorry but I agree with your first post. There's quite a few people around (here as well as in 'real life') who think as long as they keep knocking down QC's they're safe - it's laziness, period. Sounds to me like she's the kind of person who will do what she likes whatever she's told. It's her mentor that needs a good talking to (but then maybe he has given up as well!!

I think it's symptomatic of a wider problem generally ... I feel that a lot of people (not just beekeepers) live in a cushioned world where everything is fed to them in pictures or videos and there is always an expert on hand, often on the internet, to give them a step by step, paint by numbers answer to a problem that, in most cases, would not have arisen if they had done a bit of proper basic research ... BEFORE the event.

The ability to read and understand the written word seems to be a dying art. The thought processes that, by having to seek out, formulate and then implement a plan, were generated were a wonderful training. We used to call it COMPREHENSION when I was at school and it was a taught subject ... As we degenerate into a mollycoddled, spoon fed, society incapable of independently thinking a problem through to a logical and appropriate solution perhaps we should be harder on those people who are too lazy to think for themselves.

I was taught to think of a solution to the problem and then seek comments or advice about my proposed course of action ... rather than to just ask for the answer. Tough love has been said earlier in this thread and I rather think that this is the best course .... beekeeping or anywhere else for that matter.

She isn't a member of any association.
Our association don't require you to be a member to do a beginners course. You do have to join to do the follow on for free in year 2. But this starts before the fees are due and she never joined.
I lent her a spare copy of hoopers but I can't make her read it.

I have advised her to leave the hive alone for a couple of weeks so she should be ok with that.

Anyway it's another day today, different challenges and opportunities ahead.

Perhaps ig is just something trendy? A status symbol? Just being a keeper of bees, not a real beekeeper?

I can write this here because it is clear that it won't be read by anyone in this category, but one can pick out those on the forum who have clearly not read any other threads, not picked up a beekeeping book (let alone read one).

It is as clear as day. But we are not allowed to be honest with these people as a lot are in the beginners section. There are those that think bumbles or wasps are honey bees, those that think honey bees live in the ground, bumbles swarm, and a host of other giveaways concerning the very basic bee husbandry.

IMO, often wasting the time and goodwill of the forum, extracting the urine, being bone idle, or some other description.

Now lets wait for just one of them to complain about this post, to get it removed,

Oliver90owner I think that was unduly harsh and unfair. I shall request that this post be removed.

I kid! I kid!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Perhaps ig is just something trendy? A status symbol? Just being a keeper of bees, not a real beekeeper?

I can write this here because it is clear that it won't be read by anyone in this category, but one can pick out those on the forum who have clearly not read any other threads, not picked up a beekeeping book (let alone read one).

It is as clear as day. But we are not allowed to be honest with these people as a lot are in the beginners section. There are those that think bumbles or wasps are honey bees, those that think honey bees live in the ground, bumbles swarm, and a host of other giveaways concerning the very basic bee husbandry.

IMO, often wasting the time and goodwill of the forum, extracting the urine, being bone idle, or some other description.

Now lets wait for just one of them to complain about this post, to get it removed,

I think you're making a lot of big assumptions based on very little information. You build a huge case against her and other people based on her mistake. I think a little tolerance is needed. I'm sure there is not a perfect a beekeeper on this forum - we are all simply at different experience and knowledge levels.

Not assumptions. Reviewing the evidence of some posters/postings on the forum. Tolerance goes to those that are trying to improve themselves and need help, not those that are simply using the forum because they are have done nothing, or very little, to prepare for keeping bees.

Not changed your name ... (perhaps from Jack)... by any chance? Probably not, because he didn't have commercials.

Hi all,
We are not all self-starters and it is in the industry's interest to make light of beekeeping to encourage new entrants. Many of the out of season short intensive courses to get people up and running with bees seem ineffective as the knowledge base need to be acquired over a longer term. It is an expensive hobby, it encroaches on neighbours, and family life so it is understandable if forum members are in a bit of a faff when asking for help and advice. It may appear that some people don't work at it, but indeed they work very hard, but perhaps not in the right areas. Once out of control in beekeeping it is very difficult to regain control! That's what the forum is here to help with.

Got to agree with RAB and a number of posters on this thread. As a beginner of just 11 months beekeeping has a steep learning curve and it‘s one I don't think the lady in question is prepared to climb.
I did the beginner course at my local association and have read a number of books. More importantly I've spent countless hours on this forum reading threads, asking questions and trying to work out why the bees are doing what they're doing! I‘ve managed to nurse 3 colonies unscathed through winter, demaree, AS, Bailey, catch two swarms, treat for varroa etc all without a physical mentor. Not everything I've done has been perfect but it shows what can be done with a bit of thought and the help of your good selves.

Yes that's the call really isn't it. Is she trying and willing to learn? If not able that's a more difficult call but I think not many CANNOT work out how tolook after a colony on three adequately. But it's like her off the telly; spoon-feeding kills learning. Your balance to call.

Got to agree with RAB and a number of posters on this thread. As a beginner of just 11 months beekeeping has a steep learning curve and it‘s one I don't think the lady in question is prepared to climb.
I did the beginner course at my local association and have read a number of books. More importantly I've spent countless hours on this forum reading threads, asking questions and trying to work out why the bees are doing what they're doing! I‘ve managed to nurse 3 colonies unscathed through winter, demaree, AS, Bailey, catch two swarms, treat for varroa etc all without a physical mentor. Not everything I've done has been perfect but it shows what can be done with a bit of thought and the help of your good selves.

Agreed, I'm much the same way. I sometimes have quick phonecalls with an experienced member at the association for advice etc. but I'm almost entirely self-taught apart from that. The biggest mistake I've made so far was cutting corners in an AS which led to a missed QC and a cast, which, apart from being hardly the sole domain of the inexperienced, is something I've learned from. Mistakes can be as good learning experiences as getting things right, if not better, but it depends on the learner being the one to take the initiative and engage with their learning - calling someone up at your association or asking a forum like this "What did I do wrong?"

There's a line between someone making beginner mistakes and actively trying to learn from them and making beginner mistakes and then letting someone else look after the problem for you. People really should read about beekeeping and everything it entails before they decide it's for them. Most "real" hobbies involve a rather steep learning curve and beekeeping is no exception, but some people do seem to take a very cavalier attitude to what's required to be an effective beekeeper and get bees with next to no research or reading at all.

Latest posts

Back