No Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After my previous post that got very heated and like to put it all behind. I have to say that after doing quite a few drop test, I have not had a single varroa on the paper yet. And before anyone says I wouldn't know one if I saw one, well I can honestly say I still haven't seen one in the flesh lol

After my previous post that got very heated and like to put it all behind. I have to say that after doing quite a few drop test, I have not had a single varroa on the paper yet. And before anyone says I wouldn't know one if I saw one, well I can honestly say I still haven't seen one in the flesh lol

They are there.
It is long summer ahead to multiply itself

In my experience at this time of year ants clean up fallen varroa from the board as soon as they drop, I wouldn't rely on drop counts alone.

Rich

In my experience at this time of year ants clean up fallen varroa from the board as soon as they drop, I wouldn't rely on drop counts alone.

Rich

:iagree:I was going to ask did you notice any ants on the inspection board?

Some people put petroleum jelly only around the edge of the monitoring board. This is not reliable as varroa not stuck to the jelly can jump off the board onto other bees. Was advised to use a thin smear of cooking oil all over the board instead, and it is easier to apply.

None unless they can get across petroleum jelly without getting stuck

I understand that works well but never tried it. How much you have to apply? is it just around the sides or all over and how thick?

I have watched ants removing varroa so I know it happens even watched one wrestling with a live varroa once and that was fun.

I have watched ants removing varroa so I know it happens even watched one wrestling with a live varroa once and that was fun.
Thats the answer.
Breed killer ants.

thanks

Thanks for the post, Steve, and for all the answers - I have learnt a lot - I didn't know about the oil or Vaseline. I have only just started bee keeping so lots to learn :thanks:

Why you just be satisfied that there are no more mites in the hive. It is mad to think "why".

Thanks for the post, Steve, and for all the answers - I have learnt a lot - I didn't know about the oil or Vaseline. I have only just started bee keeping so lots to learn :thanks:

Use Vicks Vapor Rub.. Its got Thymol in it.

Some people put petroleum jelly only around the edge of the monitoring board. This is not reliable as varroa not stuck to the jelly can jump off the board onto other bees. Was advised to use a thin smear of cooking oil all over the board instead, and it is easier to apply.

Varroa can jump? You sure?

One way of avoiding an answer.

Its not possible for you to say whether there are mites in his hive or not. Just because you seem to be infested with them even though you blast them with chemicals to no effect.

You say in other places that if we dont treat then hive will die. I dont and never have treated, so your theory is bollocks.

Last edited:
I love 3 hive owners bollock theories

It is a theory how to waste your only life with bollocks.

I love 3 hive owners bollock theories

It is a theory how to waste your only life with bollocoks.

I treat for varroa because the evidence says they die if you don't, but when you are so dismissive and rude Finman, I passionately hope that one of these 2 hive owners will find the Holy Grail of a varroa resistant bee.

Latest posts

Back