NO QUEEN for wintre

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chris we had a quick look today and the top brood box is full of pollen and stores but the lower one has just pollen in it should we remove it for the winter!!

Is it to cold to re-queen we do have a hive with two queens in it perhaps take one out and pop her in the queenless hive?

I do have a very small hive perhaps I can merge but never tried a three brood box hive my word who's lifting that to move it.

I would say yes you can- but what then? The chances of getting a viable queen before May must be slim, and the likelihood is that they will have dwindled away by then. See if anyones got a spare queen from combining, or combine with your small colony, so you end the winter with a strong hive, not 2 basket cases.

You could take a queen out of your supercedure hive, but which one? You run the risk of leaving that one with a duff queen- either over the hill, or not properly mated.

Thanks Skyhook its a bit like banging your head against a wall you don't if it hurts until you try it Ha-Ha I think I am going to unite the two hives three brood boxes that will be a challange.

"but never tried a three brood box hive my word who's lifting that to move it."

no different to any other format - you only move one box at a time.

Well I have three vestle virgins to help me out and then I wake up? Or her indoors cuff's me ear? will up date on the three box hive in may if I still have any sort of box left.

On an other note I have just built a top bar hive 20 x 10" frames brood box then Queen exluder then a another 20 x 10" frame for super put on legs this weekend will take photo and post next week.

if it was me i would unite three brood boxes together, and hope they make it through the winter, then get three good queens and split again to make three hives hope all goes well ,good luck

Latest posts

Back