No Q cells in demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bees knees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. Did a demaree for swarm prevention and at 7 days no q cells in the top brood box. We put 3 supers between the 2 brood boxes. Any idea why this would happen?

Q pheromones may be very strong so the demeree have found no need to raise new ones.
As James has mentioned Dem's don't always produce QC's.

Quite often I don't always carry out a Demeree though I do remove the sealed to place above in a BB to aleviate BB congestion and provide extra room even with a doube brood set up.

Last edited:
Have you used a demaree board ?
Some times they will rip cells down I’ve found .
As others have said if the queens pheromones are strong they won’t bother, if you use a demaree make sure the hole with qx over it is only an inch or two.
Another thing to do is when you perform a demaree put a sheet of news paper over the first brood box then the qx supers brood box with all the brood .

Hi. Did a demaree for swarm prevention and at 7 days no q cells in the top brood box. We put 3 supers between the 2 brood boxes. Any idea why this would happen?
It's never guaranteed to get QC's - even with a Demaree board
Demarree board 2.jpg
In fact I've noticed that this year especially, many Demaree'd colonies aren't making QC's in the top box.
Also, you will often struggle to see QCs on day seve, but on day eight/nine a few sealed ones just pop up from nowhere!

Latest posts

Back