No plasters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I posted this on a window cleaning forum today,this is what happened within 10 minutes of getting to work

What a stupid thing i done this morning,only on my second window
I was just putting the money from under the door mat into the pouch pocket
and AWW MY GOD pain lots of it with lots of blood

Just a few days ago i had to gets some silicon off some glass.The scrapper blade
snapped and i could not get what was left out of the holder.Soo i very carefully used a new blade and (heres the numpty award bit) i put it into the side pocket of my pouch :
With the idea of putting it back into the holder latter that day.Well i forgot didnt i

The first look showed a deep cut ...2 secs latter with blood dripping all over the stepps and floor,i relised that i'm going to need more than a plaster

2nd numpty award goes to me for not having a first aid box...
I did have a few bits and over the yrs i used them or lost them :

Soo no one in ,i walk across the rd looking for anyone holding my finger which is still dripping blood,and very painfull.Lucky the person i saw was from a nursing home and they where very helpfull.first aid box out pading stuf on and bandage.
She said we are phoning for a ambulance Now if i was on my own i dont think i weould of had much chioce,there was no way i could drive.
But nipper had tidy up the ladders mopped up the blood from door steps and was ready to drive me there.
I would of looked a right numpty ,just hear it now..what has he done ...cut his finger ...
Any way i got there striaght in and glued it up and put sticky stuff on it to help hold it together.They gave me some nice pink water proof type gloves to help keep the water and dirt off of it.Also had a jab in the arm and away i go.
still hurts but i have learnt alot in these short hrs.

ALWAYS CARRY A FIRST AID KIT

Yeouch! Sounds really painful, you have my sympathy!
Think I'd better buy a First Aid kit for the car!

Yes that littlebox is something you over look until the day it's needed.
Then it becomes the best money ever spent little box lol

It can be quite frightening to see lots of blood but always always always if you can elevate it as high as you can. Above your heart. Its amazing how much it slows down. Its also amazing how many people forget to do it. Or hold it to their chest. Not high enough. Right up like you are asking miss to go to the loo. And apply pressure, so clench your hand round a sock, or t shirt or cloth.

As a kid I wanted to make a secret hidey hole in a book. Looks like book, smells like a book but I have cut out a square recess in the middle. Brilliant. So stanley knife raking away at the tough pages and then blinding flash, gaping slash, then pain, then blood. Palm of my left hand slashed from base of my thumb to my wrist. I was 12 and I still tremble when using a stanley knife. *shudders*

ALWAYS CARRY A FIRST AID KIT

:iagree:
I ended up with a very similar injury, nearly losing the end of my finger to a billhook, when I slipped over when doing some hedge-laying. Absolute panic at being on my own 45 mins away from the nearest hospital. Luckily the nurse at the local minor injuries unit had seen it all before and glued me up and packed me on my way.
Although the first aid made little practical difference it did help calm things down and keep the cut clean.

As well as the normal first-aid kit, we used to swear by a bottle of lavender oil kept in a pocket when we ran the free range egg farm - we were forever getting cuts and grazes (often in the midst of deep litter), and a little of it whacked on immediately is a brilliant antiseptic and soother....
The other thing we'd never be without is Lane's "Tea tree and witch hazel" ointment - used it for years on everything from nappy rash to burns and really nasty deep cuts - works a treat (knocks Savlon and Germolene into a cocked hat)

No, all we used for ourselves were the above - for the chooks we used garlic powder - sometimes (thankfully rarely) a chook would get badly pecked resulting in a nasty wound - in hot weather the preen gland at the base of the tail would get over-stimulated, so it's neighbouirs would give it a good peck as it resembled food - we'd whip the bird out, douse the wound liberally with garlic powder, and leave them in a pen on their own for a few days, repeating the powdering each day - eventually they'd get an armour-plated scab, and they could be returned to the flock as beaks would bounce off if there was a repeat!

Sounds like you should have had a roll of gaffa tape, with a bit to make the blade safe and a wee tube of single shot superglue for your finger as you forgot the tape.

£shops sell cards of the stuff and if you feel that it's nearing the end of it's useful life, you can smear some on the ladder so that your mate gets stuck on the job. :)

That's not you playing devil's advocate is it Dusty? Bit of a foreigner . . . ha ha.

Last edited:
Aww it hurts and the glue they used has not worked :(
Might go to docs and get some pain relief .

Back